Monitor opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Allan in T.Dot, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Allan in T.Dot macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new monitor because I just shipped back my Dell U2713HM monitor. It was a nice screen, minimal backlight bleed and with even dispersion, but the USB problems I had with my MBA were horrendous. USB 3.0 devices couldn't connect, only USB 2.0.

Must have's:
    -27" screen or larger (I'd prefer a higher-end panel)
    -USB 3.0 ports - the more the merrier but this is #2 on my list.
    -Quality build - I don't mind paying a bit more if I know the unit is going to last.

-->Right now I'm looking at the below monitor from Samsung. It's a half-decent price but for a 1.5 year old monitor, it's not the greatest. Plus, it was the first PLS monitor and I'm never a keener for brand new tech.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=042094

-->The new ASUS PA279Q is nice but the screen isn't even made by ASUS. Plus, I'm not dealing with graphics/photography so don't think I need to have/pay for the colour calibration.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_1195_700_1104&item_id=062207

-->And of course, there is the Apple TBD. But from everything that I've read about the quality control....I'm really not keen on it unless I have some killer applecare. Plus, the ergonomics of this thing suck. Having the ability to turn the screen vertically is a really nice feature to have.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MC914LL/B/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch?fnode=53

Thoughts? Suggestions. Thanks everyone!

2. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I own 2 TBD, the Samsung PLS model you linked, a u2711, and a couple ghetto cheap korean Shimian displays, and in order of favorite to least favorite I'd probably go Samsung, Korean, TBD, U2711.... Samsung has really nice matte coating, it's very light and the text looks very sharp... The Koreans are glossy but don't have the tempered glass (which cuts down massively on reflections), had no dead pixels, but one had a little bit of BLB in bottom left... the TBDs were pretty picture perfect (seems like not quite perfect color uniformity on bottom 20% of each display, but is hardly noticeable), but hate the glare... the u2711 is my least favorite, the waxy, heavy antiglare made text look terrible...

In order of favorite stands def. U2711 followed by Samsung followed by TBD followed by Koreans... The u2711 is def more heavy duty of a stand than the Samsung, but the Samsung is still at least full featured, it's not wobbly but doesn't quite have that rock solid feel... The TBD is pretty meh, no height adjustment or swivel.... and the Korean ones had the most ghetto stands ever, lol, but you can't complain much for $280 (at the time) 1440p displays...

I don't think you'll regret the Samsung, as long as you get a good one.... It's always a bit of a gamble with these panels... you just gotta demand what you pay for and keep exchanging until you get what you want really...

3. Allan in T.Dot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks cosmicjoke for the info. Samsung has been quite reliable as of late for a number of things. Have you ever connected a vantec USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure to young Samsung monitor? I returned the Dell U2713HM specifically because that enclosure just wouldn't connect at all.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/404

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

have you ever successfully connected an ext hard drive to a monitor's USB hub? I'm thinking that no none will work to power it except the Apple TBD (tried it, works). The built in USB hub isn't meant to power hard drives, but to sync and charge items that don't require much power, like dongles, phones and such.

5. Allan in T.Dot thread starter macrumors member

Hi outrigger, take a look at the link to the manufacturer website - the enclosure has its own power source. With the U2713HM monitor, I was constantly able to connect a similar Vantec USB 2.0 enclosure without any problems. It just wouldn't connect a USB 3.0 enclosure.

6. ColdCase, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not saying that the desire for USB 3 hub in a display is foolish as I've been there done that, but it is well know within the USB drive community that hubs in monitors are weak, behind with firmware, lacking in features, and Mac compatibility. They are provided as a convenient way to connect keyboards and mice to a Laptop, any more "stressful" use is buyer beware. I dunno of any monitor hubs that are reliable with USB 3.0 drives and a Mac. You may be able to get away with USB 2.0 drives, but its a crap shoot.

For reliability and least chance of data corruption its best to use a dedicated 3.0 hub, of which there are now several for $20 to $50 with updated firmware that comply with USB standards and work with the Mac. Some have 8 ports. Some early 3.0 hubs were not standard compliant, not supporting features the Mac expected.... causing all sorts of issues.

Buy a monitor based on what they do well, display. Their internal hubs are practically useless. The U2713HM is a good monitor, the LG27EA83D is a better performer.

7. macman05 macrumors regular

This is a great review of the Viewsonic VP2770 from Menacing Tuba on Youtube. I will get this when the new Haswell Mac Mini is released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5MDUKBXig

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

It may have its own power source, but it doesn't mean it has enough power to power a USB 3.0 drive which requires more power than 2.0.

9. ColdCase, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

USB 3.0 is different than 2.0 in that there is lanes and protocol the hub has to be aware of. USB 2.0 with its dumb hub architecture provides a decent data path, the power is what tripped some up. In USB 3.0 both power, and the hub firmware, can be an issue.

Just saying it is unrealistic to expect any current monitor's built in hub to operate reliably with a 3.0 disk, whether its in a powered enclosure or not. You could get lucky, but are skating on thin ice.

10. Gene S macrumors member

11. Allan in T.Dot thread starter macrumors member

Hi coldcase

Thanks a lot for your feedback - very useful. It's a shame really, it would have been nice to knock off a lot of crap off the workstation and streamline things but I think what you're suggesting is for the best. Otherwise I'm going to lose all my backups and that is a worse off problem.