Monitor or TV for viewing video from iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FroColin, Sep 22, 2009.

1. FroColin macrumors regular

I have recently started doing a lot of color correction and editing. And currently I use an old CRT display along with my iMac it's fairly small. I would love to be able to output my movies onto a TV. When I was using an old DV camcorder I could hook it up to the computer via Firewire and then hook the camcorder up to the TV using a composite cable and then using Final cut Pro or iMovie I could output the image onto the TV. Which was great but now I shoot HD and would like to be able to output HD images to an HDTV. Is there anyway to do that with an iMac? I would love some help cause I'm not quite sure where to look.

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

You'll either need some kind of deck with an HD output (Component, HDMI, SDI, etc.) or you'll have to use your iMac's display output to an HD-capable monitor, using adapters as necessary. It's otherwise the same principle. Best, of course, to use a monitor that is a TV or intended to emulate a TV as opposed to just a cheap computer display.

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

The product you're after is the Matrox MXO. A little bit pricey but it'll do everything you're after.

Video out over DVI-D then DVI-D to HDMI/DVI-D into monitor... I suggest getting a decent monitor though, and a way of ensuring it's calibrated but it's probably the best iMac solution available. Audio will have to go separately via the L&R audio channels. Could use an adaptor to mini-jack if needed though.

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

It's worth noting the MXO was designed to work with the 23" Apple Cinema Display as the monitor. Some people used 24" Dells (2405FPW, I think, with the same IPS panel as the 23" ACD) but they were not quite as good as they ran at a computer-y 60Hz rather than the 59.94Hz of a TV or ACD. I don't know if it'd be a good idea to use an MXO with any old HDTV...