Monitor profiling/color management solutions

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by macmesser, Aug 3, 2013.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I do photography with Canon DSLRs and am looking to add a monitor profiling solution to my setup. I have a Dell U3014 wide-gamut and a 16.7 million color 24" monitor. I'm wondering what those of you who do photography use.

X-Rite ColorMunki photography kit (profiles camera, printer. display, scanner too I think)? Pricey at 499usd but does a lot.

Stand alone units - i1 Display Pro 2, ColorMunki

Addons to above- XRite color checker Passport kit (targets and software)

I'm leaning towards the i1 Display Pro. Should I worry abouy anything aside from the monitor? (Scanner, Camera, printer)

I will be doing some scanning.

Also wondering if I can calibrate a good monitor which is on the same card as a low-end monitor which is there for tool windows only.

Thanks for insights.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I have used all three, so here is my assessment.
    CM Photo although pricey, is going to give you complete confidence in your work flow. Easy to use as the software gives you instruction videos at each stage if you get stuck.

i1 Pro is basically the same colorimeter as the CM display. You just get more control in the software to choice different advance settings. If you won't bother using the advance menu, then go for the cheaper CM Display.

Choose carefully as there is no upgrade path with any of these options, so once you make your choice, you are stuck with it.

That's why if it was my money I would choose the CM Photo.

3. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I have been happy with the Spyder 4 Elite Studio and Dell 3011. I have also used the i1 and ColorMunki as part of a color technology class. All three systems work well and it likely boils down to how well you like the workflow and software.

4. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. I found that the CM Photo package does not support scanner profiling. Seems that this would mostly be used by photographers doing film scanning. Did you use the camera profiling capability? I noticed that the unit was different than the CM Display and wondering if it has the same accuracy. Specs seem to indicate that it does.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Same for the monitor calibration, but the CM Display will not do a printer. In terms of the Camera, I've not used it but it's quite easy as I understand. You take a photo with the chart in, and then the Xrite software matches the colours that you should be getting. It's basically the same chart and software you get with the colour checker passport.

6. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looked at this and it seems more geared towards an expert. I think the package that Dell bundled with the U3014 was the Spyder 4 elite. I purchased my monitor from a third party and without profiling stuff. I have since looked for their bundle at Dell.com and found only old docs so apparently they no longer do the bundle.

The 7 color technology is interesting and might be more precise. Which did you find easier to use?

7. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I bought the Dell and Spyder separately, I didn't know the offered a package. :)

In all honestly the Spyder, i1 and ColorMunki are all about the same in complexity. Sure some offer more advanced settings but overall the basic setup is pretty straightforward. The ColorMunki is an exceptional value. I got a great deal on the Spyder and that's what put me over the edge.

Printer calibration is a bit more "confusing" but calibrating your monitor has a huge payoff all by itself and is relatively easy. Past versions of the devices could be a bit iffy but the current versions are really good unless you want to get into the multi-thousand dollar space.

Oh and as a side note: If you have a multi monitor setup then only calibrate your photo editing monitor. Typical video cards only have a single CLUT so you can only calibrate one monitor. Unless you have multiple video cards that is. :)

Ah, and another nice feature of the full kits is the ones that include printer guides. They let you take the printed page and scan across a row of samples. It is much easier than clicking on each individual swatch.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

With the CM Photo you don't click on swatches. You just go over the row, white to white. It's a bit like ironing so I'm told!

9. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

You are correct, however some kits have a guide that you can use to make sure you stay on track easier. I don't believe the CM has the guide but the i1 and Spyder Studio kits do.

Is it needed? No. Does it make life easier? Very much so.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I don't have a problem using the CM without a guide. The i1 Pro comes with one (but then for the money it should do!). Also the Spyder print (which is part of the Studio kit) does as well. Of course if money is no object just get an iSis or iO table to go with your Pro!

11. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

Hooray for you.

I made a comment to somebody and in the last portion I remarked that the guides are nice to have. Apparently that makes me Mr Moneybags. :rolleyes: