Monitor Recommendation for '12 Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dopeyman, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I've been reading threads here and there for monitor recommendations for the new 2018 mini. But I'm looking for a monitor for my 2012 i7 mini.

I used to own a 2011 27" i7 iMac. Those had a resolution of 2560 x 1440. I would like to get a monitor with the same specs.

I'm not doing any photoshopping or video editing. Just web surfing and some movie watching. Nothing major.

What's good?

2. Miat macrumors 6502a

I have a Dell U2713H, for general-purpose personal use, including lots of movies, and some basic 2D drawing.

It's an old model (2013) and no longer in production, but it is still going strong, and I am very happy with it. I think the UP2716D is the current equivalent.

Dell will be on my short list next time I need a new monitor.

3. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors regular

SpacemanSpiffed

The 2012 mini can only output 4K @ 30hz, which is noticeable (I had mine hooked up to a dell 2415 4K monitor for a while)- so 2560x1440 is a good target resolution.

Honestly there are a lot of holiday deals for monitors with the resolution - pick the size you want (25, 27, or 31 inch diagonal), if you want built-in speakers, and make sure you get an IPS panel so all your viewing angles are good and go shopping. A good place that keeps up on latest deals is reddit's 'buildapcsales' group, though it's certainly not the only place.

4. Sarpanch macrumors member

2012 Mini does not support 4k. They max out at 1440p at 60hz via DP and 1080p at 60hz via HDMI. It’s the 2014 model which supports 4k at 30hz.

OP - you should look for a QHD 1440p monitor. I am using a Dell U2518D (which I picked up at a hefty discount from Best Buy). For me, the text size is just right at default resolution, although many prefer 27” for 1440p resolution. Dell U2718D is a great choice as well (was on promotion at Costco recently)

5. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Been looking into getting a Lightning 27" Cinema Display A1316. Any comments on it?

6. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors regular

SpacemanSpiffed

The one with the built-in iSight camera?

It's stylish. It doesn't have speakers, but it does have an LED backlight, which is less likely to die on you than a CFL backlight.

Should be fine for the 2012 Mini - uses mini displayport, which the 2012 has. They're all used at this point, so just get a really great price and one that's not damaged, and you are in.

7. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

My mistake. It's the Thunderbolt, not Lightning model. I'm ok with it not having speakers. I still have my SoundSticks 2. Also, I noticed on mine that I don't have the mini display port. Only an HDMI port.

8. SpacemanSpiffed macrumors regular

SpacemanSpiffed

ok, Model A1407 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display

That model has has 2.1 speakers - nice :) And the camera is 720p, again - nice :)

Yes you do, the thunderbolt connector next to the HDMI port. You can plug a mini displayport cable right into it and it will work with any displayport monitor.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP659?locale=en_US ( scroll down for pic of the rear ports )

9. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did it and I scored!!

I got myself a Thunderbolt 27" Monitor... For the very low price of $250.

It's awesome! Feels and looks just like my old trusty 2011 27" iMac.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.