Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phas3, Nov 29, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

So I'm upgrading to a 13" MBP from my blackbook and I'd like to hook it up to a monitor, which can also be used for gaming when I build my PC later.

I don't really know what size to go for and what type of monitor. I've been reading some threads here and there are a lot of fans to IPS type monitors. Unfortunately I don't have 500$ to spend, and what I do mostly on my laptop is university stuff and sometimes video editing and play around with photoshop. But those are just hobbies and not looking to become some professional on those programs.

I can probably stretch my budget to 300 but that's really pushing it, I'll be more comfortable close to 200.

So I guess what I'm looking for in a monitor is, 1. can be used for gaming, 2. can be used for all other things...if that helps at all. Also 3. I want it to match/go with my setup, which is MBP and a black desk. I like glossy screens looks more slick to me.

I was looking at some HP monitor that have the glossy screen and silver stand, I like that color combo was wondering how do they fair with other screens out there?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've found that all mainstream monitors are pretty much the same. HPs should be good so if you like them, go ahead. Just make sure it's 1920x1080, you don't want any lower in ≥22" monitor.

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Actually, I think my grandparents have that monitor. At least they have liked it and when I set up their setup, it really looked great.

Resolution under 1920x1080 in ≥22" monitor is way below the standard. Most are 1080p nowadays though but just warned you so you aren't getting fooled.

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

awesome thank you for your insight. I think I just made up my mind, excited! Figured an upgrade from my macbook to mbp will be a good xmas present to myself along with a nice sleek monitor!

6. pcb macrumors member

pcb

7. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Like Hellhammer said, nearly all consumer monitors are practically identical. I think going for a LED backlit is a good choice in this category. 1080p is a little low for 24" but it seems that most manufacturers are going that way. 1920x1200 used to be the standard at that size.

8. sculfort macrumors member

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I like my Samsung PX2370. It's LED backlit and just a nice monitor for $279 on amazon.