Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattDSLR, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

Its time to upgrade my monitor

This will be used for photography work, so Adobe RBG gamma (97 + % of coverage) would be good.
    If you are a photographer and just got a new monitor or you look for one post it up, as I;m really interested in what you have
    My budget is $2000 to $3000 CDN
    Looking at NEC, Lacie, Eazo and apple 27" or bigger

Your recommendation would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

2. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Running an NEC 26 inch with H-ips technology. Great monitors, very easy on the eyes, top notch.

I'd say look for the proper display tech, and h-ips I think is still the best. Then go from there. I think the newer iMacs come with h-ips as well.

You won't go wrong with NEC, they are pro monitors. Just make sure it's H-ips.

4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I have the 26" NEC LCD2690 and Spectraview II software. Best monitor I ever had and very easy on the eyes. However, this model was recently discontinued so it is getting hard to find. The newer line includes the PA series like the PA241 (24") and PA27... (27"). I do not like the high pixel density of the 27" (110ppi) - I had a 27" iMac and sold it, partly because of that.

5. TheNakedMan macrumors member

for that price, why not just get a 27 inch imac i7.

I love the Dell IPS monitor I have. I'd love to have a 30 inch for 1200 dollars though.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Ummm...perhaps he's using a Mac Pro? ;)

Besides, no professional photographer in their right mind would trust a glossy display for print matching.

OP:

It seems like you have a pretty healthy budget for a monitor. That would put you in Eizo FlexScan territory. The 27" and 30" models in the SX series both do 97% Adobe RGB and 100% NTSC coverage and have 16-bit look-up tables (LUTs). But the 27" (SX2762) is newer and already has Mini DP (nice if you're on a 2009 or newer Mac Pro). Like stated before, the newer 16:9 27" panels have higher pixel densities than their 30" 16:10 counterparts because the 27" panels display 90% as much resolution with 3 inches less of actual panel. You may or may not like this. The best thing to do would be to look at a 27" iMac in a store to get a good idea.

Also, Eizo monitors are historically hard to find due to their somewhat limited distribution network. Eizo does list dealers on their website, but no one dealer seems to carry everything in their lineup, at least in the US. I believe they still build everything in Japan and being a smaller company, they have considerably lower yields in production.

Other suggestions...

If you think you can live with a 24" display, the HP DreamColor LP2480zx is wonderful and widely available.

The NEC MultiSync 90 series, while not necessarily in the same league as Eizo, are outstanding values for the money.

I have no actual field experience with LaCie's monitors, but I from what I can tell, all of them use PVA panels instead of IPS. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they generally have lower response times than IPS panels. But if you're working primarily in still photography, that probably wouldn't matter anyway.

7. MattDSLR, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you
    Yes it is for my MP
    I already have 24" Dell and find it a bit too small for high res photos
    my 27iMac was great but the glossy screen drove me nuts
    I'm also hoping Apple will put out something to replace its 30" screen because 30" would be ideal for me
    looking at 97% plus in RGB gamma coverage its tough to find and those are great monitor for photo editing
    There is allots of good monitors but its tough to find a great one

my current options are

27" NEC MultiSync PA271W
    http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ea6da8b1-47a5-4ebf-8992-420aa57961ca

LaCie 730 LCD 30" Monitor 14-Bit w/ Blue Hood + Blue Eye PRO PE
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11095

NEC LCD3090W-BK-SV 30" Wide Screen LCD Monitor Black with Spectraview kit

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ec17518a-366e-4f09-8173-ca42d439b357

Eizo FlexScan SX3031W Widescreen LCD Monitor - 30" - 2560 x 1600 - 12ms - 900:1 - Black
    http://www.eizo.com/global/press/releases/pdf/SX3031W_pr.pdf

8. toxic macrumors 68000

Lacie monitors are just rebranded NECs.

NEC PA301w (which is supposed to be out sooner or later) or LCD3090, HP ZR30w, or Dell U3011.

9. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Flavor macrumors newbie

I've got an NEC EA231WMi that works like a charm. Decent IPS display for the money.

11. gameface macrumors 6502

I have a Dell 30" ultrasharp and like it. Would love a dream color for my second ref monitor but can't justify the cost at this time.

12. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

13. AdamN macrumors newbie

Viewsonic

What about Viewsonic? I don't need color correctness so none of this stuff has mattered to me - however I've always had great experience with Viewsonic:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vp2655wb.htm

This is $1k at 26" and uses IPS technology. Looks like a very good deal.

14. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

I never trusted viewsonic
    Now I will wait for this baby
    EIZO FlexScan SX2762W

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You may want to wait for the new Samsung SA850.

- 27" LED backlit PLS (new technology that is supposed to be even better than IPS, 178° viewing angles as well, but 10% lighter and 15% less power consumption) panel with 2560x1440 resolution
    - 100% sRGB with 10bit colour depth
    - 5ms response time
    - USB 3.0
    - motion sensor and ambient light sensor
    - Displayport (naturally)
    - and from what I've heard a less aggressive AG coating than IPS panels.

The price is unclear as of yet, but PLS is supposed to be cheaper to produce than IPS, so it might be under $1000.

16. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

That is interesting spec
    Thx
    Will search the web for it

17. toxic macrumors 68000

the OP would have to wait for it to be released and then reviewed. I don't trust the marketing - look at the promotional photos comparing PLS and IPS. can you recreate that kind of color shift on your monitor? I can't.

coating has nothing to do with the display technology. finally, the OP wanted wide-gamut, which the Samsung isn't.

18. Transporteur macrumors 68030

No, I can't either, and no coating has nothing to do with the panel type per se, however, IPS is regarded to have the most aggressive coating amongst all other panel types, which might be an issue to some users.
    TN and PVA generally have a much lighter coating and if one can trust the rumours, so does PLS.

19. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

20. VRhythm macrumors newbie

Similar search

I initially started looking to replace my two DELL 2005FPW's bordering my Samsung 30" 305t (which I felt had an acceptable display quality), however, after seeing the Samsung PX2370 (and considering the energy consumption) I knew there was a different level of quality out there, and it would make my 305t look like garbage. Thus began my quest to replace three of my four monitors (Sharp LL-151-3D is irreplaceable).
    I do underwater and nature photography in addition to general use and gaming, so I would like sRGB compliance and calibration.

I initially looked at the tech specs for the EIZO CG303W, LaCie 730, NEC LCD3090W-BK-SV and HP Z30W.

The EIZO kinda scared me with its finely stipulated warranty, which when calculated out (if you stay within the crazy parameters) is about 1.2 years for an average 12 hour on-time per day. Not to mention that it seems to have sparse distribution in the US and is about $5000. It uses an IPS (not S or H) panel with a 16 bit lookup table and 8 and 10 bit DVI signal support.

From a technology standpoint, LaCie is using the most ancient (S-PVA), but backs it up with (the only that I found) RGB LED backlight. The combination of S-PVA and LED backlight should make contrast remarkable, and indeed it boasts 123% of Adobe RGB and 125% of NTSC (not clear on how you get more than 100%, but I'm assuming they are at least getting complete coverage in x and y). It also includes a colorimeter and software to calibrate non LaCie monitors, which is cool. Although the LaCie claims 14 bit processing and lookup table, it can only display 16.7mil colors, suggesting 8 bit signal support.

The Nec is a bit more affordable at about $2200 and also has a colorimeter (but it appears to only work on the NEC). It uses an IPS (no S or H) panel with a 14 bit lookup table (which is another important point) with 8 bit signal.

The HP, lowest cost of the bunch at about $1200 uses an H2-IPS panel (twist on S), with a 12 bit lookup table and 8 or 10 bit signal support.

So if we're talking about colors, it comes down to conformance to sRGB (if you're doing photos), and total color capability. In that realm, only the HP and ENZO really compete with 10 bits resulting in 1.07 billion colors simultaneously (vs. 16.7 million).
    The other question is can your graphics card support 10 bit color? I use dual NVidia Quadro 3800's, so yes for me, check out nVidia or your card's site for support, it is scarce.

Finally, considering cost of $5000 for the Enzo vs. $1200 for the HP. The HP Z30w wins. I will also complement it with two HP ZR24w's to round out the symmetry and avoid color shifts when dragging across monitors. I figure I can get true calibration with either the Spyder 3 Colorimeter ($150) or the LaCie Colorimeter ($350).

Having never seen any of these color correct monitors, from the specs it would appear for photography and general hi-end use, the HP Z30w is the best quality/value.

Has anyone seen any of these?

21. mattk3650 macrumors member

22. VRhythm macrumors newbie

Thanks for putting me on to DoubleSight, I was not aware of that manufacturer. However, if you look at the specs, although the NewEgg specs claim 1.07 billion colors, the manufacturer's site states 'true 8 bit colors' in its spec. That results in 16.7 million displayable colors.
    Not a 10 bit display. And while the argument can be made that you can't display 1.07 billion colors on a 4 megapixel monitor, what matters is you get 1024 shades of R,G and B; or more importantly Gray.
    Oh yea, less than 30" is not considered (can't step down).

23. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anybody seen this in action yet
    EIZO FlexScan SX2762W

24. blow45 macrumors 68000

coating has a lot to do with the display technology, almost all va panels use less aggressive ag coating than ips ones.