Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by parislv, Aug 22, 2008.

1. parislv macrumors newbie

Hi all -- I've only ever posted once before, but I am hoping you all can help me out...

I am a freelance graphic designer working with a new Mac Pro (bought in Feb. - upgraded from the old "mirrored door" Mac). At any rate, I had been using a cheap View Sonic monitor (19inch) that actually provided good color. Seriously -- the color match from my printers was amazing! However, it has decided that it doesn't want to have a clear picture anymore and has this shadowing effect that I can no longer deal with...

So, after reading and reading and reading on this and several other forums... I went ahead and yesterday bought a 24inch Dell E248WFP for $309 figuring I had a crappy monitor to begin with so how bad could this one be? Well, the forums were right... I I think I hate this thing. I have 13 more days to return it before the return policy runs out so I need to find something else fairly quickly.

I don't know that I actually NEED something as big as a 24inch monitor -- I'm pretty used to working with the 19 inch and don't have any problems doing so... Thinking of splurging and buying the 20 inch ACD. But I don't know that it is worth it... I don't really want to spend $600 (that I don't really have to begin with) on a 20inch display... but I need something that will provide me with decent color (instead of this neon thing that this Dell has going on) and is also clear (I feel the Dell is blurry -- and I don't know if that's because it is so much bigger than my old one or if it is this monitor)...

Can anyone help me? Or recommend another monitor besides the ACD that won't break my budget -- I'm just a small freelancer and I've already invested a lot into computer equipment this year... I think technology hates me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Yaris macrumors regular

Have you looked at the ultrasharp? That's what I would reccomend.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, NEVER buy the Dell "E" series monitors. They are cheap pieces of crap with horrible color reproduction.

The Ultrasharp line, on the other hand, are nearly as good as Apple's monitors. I have a lot of experience with both. At home, I have the Dell 2407wfp and 2007wfp ultrasharp monitors. At work, I have a 23" and 20" ACD. I'm a designer, so I notice color variations -- while not quite as good as the ACD in terms of color accuracy, they're very very close, and will suit most people's needs very well. I love mine at home; it wasn't worth it for me to spend twice as much to get the Apples. Plus, the Dells come with nice extras like adjustable stands and extra inputs.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I got a Samsung 24" for around $350 at Costco. Not sure about color accuracy, but its better than a Dell "E" series. Just calibrate using some calbration software out there.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The Dell 2408FPW, when calibrated, is said to have very accurate color based on reviews. Out of the box, the colors aren't so hot, however.

I have one and the reds bled something fierce out of the box, but once I calibrated it I am very satisfied with the look and accuracy of the colors.

6. parislv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes -- I am taking this piece of poo back to the store either later today or tomorrow... I cannot deal with it any longer!! I knew I was going to hate it too, should have listened to my instincts...

I think I am just going to break down and buy the 20 inch ACD -- I just got back from the apple store -- without buying and just wanted to try my old one one more time. I really lucked out with the old view sonic -- don't have any idea how either -- but the color, before the shadowing thing started was almost identical to the apple one I saw in the store today... Hoping maybe that I can at least get it to work for another week or so until I can get paid and figure out what my finances really are!

Thanks!!