Monitor resolution question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zrbecker, Jun 28, 2009.

1. zrbecker macrumors member

I am a soon to be new Mac user and I have a question about using lower resolutions on a Mac.

I am getting a Macbook Pro where the native resolution will be 1440 x 900 (I think).

Some older games (that I like to still play) do not support wide screen resolutions. On my PC this isn't an issue because under the nvidia control panel there is an option to tell the resolution not to scale. You get a black border around your screen if you do this, but at least it doesn't stretch it which looks awful.

Screen shot of the option in windows.
    [​IMG]

I was checking out the system preferences on a mac that I have at my work, but I can't really find the location of video card settings.

So, my question is how do I make it so lower resolutions don't stretch to widescreen on my Macbook Pro?

Thanks for the information!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

When I play games like Pocket Tanks on my MacBook Pro it has the borders on the side so it can show the 4:3 resolution. It didn't require me to set any preferences.

3. zrbecker thread starter macrumors member

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Same for me. We have a resolution of 1680x1050 and when my mum plays puzzle games it puts black borders on the side.

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Generally for 4:3 games on more modern cards that power widescreen displays, the card will scale the picture with the black bars so that the monitor can run a 4:3 at its native resolution.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You should be able to set the resolution of the OS to a 4:3 non-stretched one.