Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwoj00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
I have just purchased a apple mini display port to vga converter. I know how to set up a dual monitor with my mac but I am wondering if it is possible to use my imac just as a monitor and hook up my pc to it. I want to be able to use my imac screen as a pc monitor but I also want it so when I unplug my pc connection I could still use my iMac

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I have just purchased a apple mini display port to vga converter. I know how to set up a dual monitor with my mac but I am wondering if it is possible to use my imac just as a monitor and hook up my pc to it. I want to be able to use my imac screen as a pc monitor but I also want it so when I unplug my pc connection I could still use my iMac

If you have a 2009 27" iMac or later you should be able to(I think).

mwoj00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
I have a 2009 imac. So I just hook up my pc and then what do I do

mwoj00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2012
I am also wondering if I could hook up my wii like that. I have composite to vga converter and if I hook up my wii to the mini display port to vga then can I can I play my wii on my mac

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I am also wondering if I could hook up my wii like that. I have composite to vga converter and if I hook up my wii to the mini display port to vga then can I can I play my wii on my mac

By daisy-chaining through multiple adapters, there's a chance you'll introduce some latency. But yes, it's possible.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
ok but what does latency mean

It means there may be a slight lag between your controller input and what you see on the screen. You won't really know if it's noticeable until you try it out. If the game feels sluggish or unresponsive, that's probably why. Rhythm games (e.g. Guitar Hero) are the most susceptible to problems with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.