Monitor similar to 24" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFanUK, Aug 9, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

A few days ago, I was on here getting advice about going for a Mac Mini but now my circumstances have changed (I have a bit more cash available) so now I'm looking at the Macbook Pro's. I'll either be getting the 13" with a 24" ACD or a 15" on it's own.

However, what I would like (as this is now for work also) is the 24" ACD hooked up to the MBP and another screen hooked up to my PC next to it, however, I'd prefer to have 2 identical screens. As there doesn't seem to be a way of connecting the 24" ACD to a normal PC yet, can anyone recommend a monitor that looks like the ACD and preferrably the same height and glossy too.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd recommend getting a couple of Dell displays. The 2408WFP is great and comes with every input imaginable.

3. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

There's a couple of reasons why I want to go for the ACD for the MBP - firstly, I wan't to be able to use it as a kind of docking station (have my printer and external hard drives hooked up to it), then be able to just plug the MBP in when I get home. Last time I had a MB, I ended up having to buy a 2nd PSU so I could leave one at my desk (for cable management purposes).

The other reason is that the Dell 2408WFP is £550.85 at Dell.co.uk, however, with HE discount, I can get the 24" ACD for £528 so a few quid cheaper.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I remember reading somewhere that there was a PC video card that had a mini dp out. I can't remember where.

You might also want to consider the HP 24" monitor that has a similar style to the ACD.

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. The only PC cards I can find with any sort of Display Port have the full size Display Port, not Mini DP and as far as I know, there is no adapter to convert Display Port to Mini DP :(

Oh and the cheapest DP Graphics Card is £126.

6. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Just want to point out that the Dell has a built-in USB hub, just like the ACD, except the Dell trades the FW port(s) for a total of four USBs. I use the hub on my 2208WFP for a keyboard (the musical instrument) and a flash drive.

If the ACD is cheaper, I'd go with that, but, as you've stated, there are few PC GPUs with a mDP.

In that case, I'd look around the local retailers and on the interweb for something with at least a DVI input. Most 24'' or above have much more than that. I don't know if you have it in the UK, but Acer is a cheap, but good-quality choice.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

8. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

HP w2338h, no doubt about it. The ACD actually stole the look of the HP as well.

It has a great glossy (yet mostly glare-free) screen, and has great picture quality.