Monitor size???

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
What is a good screen size for external monitor? Is there such thing as too big?
Does the size of the screen affect the color because you have to look further left and right from the center sweet spot?
I am thinking about a 24" but since I am buying, a 26" is it worth the extra money?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
What is a good screen size for external monitor? Is there such thing as too big?
Depends on what you use it for.

Does the size of the screen affect the color because you have to look further left and right from the center sweet spot?
Not appreciably.

I am thinking about a 24" but since I am buying, a 26" is it worth the extra money?
Again, you're the only one that can answer this.

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What are you going to use the monitor for? Reading email? then 20" is bigger then you need. If you are running Final Cut or Logic yo can't have enough screen space. My 24 seems to be big enough for photo editing but I which it were taller for soe vertical shots.

ipodftw

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
yeah its all depends on what you want to do, 20" maybe big enough, im happy with my 17" for windows

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods
I use more than one

I use two 23" one in landscape and one in portrait positions for my photography work. then a third for program pallets etc. Makes life so much easier. I hope to soon get a 30" +

Monitors are how you see the computer world.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I use two 23" one in landscape and one in portrait positions for my photography work. then a third for program pallets etc. Makes life so much easier. I hope to soon get a 30" +

Monitors are how you see the computer world.
So what is your opinion on using the 27" imac glossy screen for serious photo editing? I think you will say no way..

I am thinking about the HP 2475 IPS and gets great reviews.

Unique Visuals

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
In the woods

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
The hp 2475 seems to have been around longer and has tons of reviews, mainly all 5 star. I am wondering about the return policy and warranty too.
they probably have the same ips panel in them so it may be little features each one may inlcude..

I hate to say it but I am not a Dell fan.. but if it is better I will go for it.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
So what is your opinion on using the 27" imac glossy screen for serious photo editing? I think you will say no way..

I am thinking about the HP 2475 IPS and gets great reviews.
didnt you already ask this in another thread?

Have you taken a thumbdrive of your photos to the apple store and given them a try on a 27" imac?

Are you a photographer or a photo editor?

If you are a photographer, you want your photos to look the best they can, no matter how you retouch them -- maybe you like super juicy high contrast photos? or maybe you like sepia tones? or lots of B/W?

But as a photo editor you want your photos to look exactly like they should. Perfect skin tones. Radiant blue skys. The reddest rose ever.

I work with a 24" gloss next to a 20 " matte and a 24" matte next to a 20" gloss, sure, I can see the difference, but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out which one I like more, or which one prints better.

And lets not forget about a COLOR CALIBRATOR. Sorry, you cant be serious unless you have one.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'd go with the 24", as the 26" (assuming the same resolution), has a larger pitch (same pixel count over a larger surface area). Personally, I use an NEC LCD2490WUXi, but those that have the HP 2475 say they're nice once calibrated.

And given it's for photography, you might not like glossy screens.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I ordered the HP 2475 yesterday from B&H photo. I am suppose to get it tomorrow.

I will update my findings.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Theres no such thing as too big :D

If your doing photgraphy bigger is generally better but a pair of 24's would serve you well.

Also I use a glossy monitor. My prints match my screen 100% of the time. Despite what you hear about "glossy being bad" for photo editing I think most of that is from people who:

A. Never tried it
B. Never calibrated their equipment with a colorometer and such.

Id never go back to matte screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.