Monitor = SLOW performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsoncarson, Jan 5, 2011.

1. arsoncarson macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I own a 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 17" Macbook Pro (08) running Leopard v10.5.8

I recently purchased a 23" Samsung SyncMaster B2330 LCD monitor. Which I have connected to my Macbook Pro via DVI/HDMI cable.

I'm not sure why, but it seems that my computer is running fairly slower! A performance rate that is very noticeable in the work I do. Even small things such as browsing the internet I notice a huge difference. Now when I plugged in the monitor the only settings that were changed was obviously the Screen Resolution which changed to 1920x1080 instead of the old 1600x1200. I did not install any drivers for the Samsung monitor, I don't really think there is a need to.

Before this monitor I had a 19" or 20" Acer LCD monitor which was connected via VGA and I had no problems with performance with that monitor, everything was the same. Is it maybe because the screen resolution is higher that the performance is going down? I mean it's only a 23" monitor, not a huge flat panel 70" TV display!

Can someone please explain to me what is going on, or maybe guide me in the right steps of fixing this issue or even providing information as to what I may be doing wrong.
    Thanks! Very much appreciated!

~ Arson Carson

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Have you been able to try it with a plain old DVI cable? I have a hunch that the HDMI might be causing the issue.

3. arsoncarson thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Wattser93 macrumors regular

FYI, that 70" TV is 1920x1080 or lower resolution. It's the resolution, not the size that matters. You can buy 2560x1700 res monitors that are under 30".

5. arsoncarson thread starter macrumors newbie

Right... but that still doesn't help me here.