Monitor Solution for 3-year old Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Noctilux.95, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

I have a 39 month Mac Pro 2.66 and I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to the new 27" Apple LED.
    I currently have a stock Navida (256) DVI video card and am looking to either upgrade the card with ones that come with a mini port or an adaptor to work with the new Apple display.

what is the best solution?

Thanks!

PS: I'm set on the 27" Apple LED as I love the display on my new i7 iMac 27"

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I would do whats cheapest ?

unless you do stuff that takes advantage of Open GL ? and depending on how long you want to keep the computer ? a new card might be throwing money down the drain at this point ? unless you can use it ?

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First off, it is "Nvidia." Second, you would have to upgrade to a compatible video card. See this thread. Also, why not use the iMac as a monitor?

4. Noctilux.95 thread starter macrumors 6502

My iMac is used for Photoshop work while the Mac Pro is for editing in Photo Mechanic and photo management with Aperture 3.

So an ATI 4870 video card has a mini display port which will allow me to install an Apple 27" LED?

5. ATHmathieu macrumors regular

Please don't waste your money buying overpriced Apple displays!

NEC makes the best panels on the planet... why do you think you NEC panels are in use in more Radiology & Diagnostic environments than any other panel? Quality and unmatched performance!

Here's my top picks:

NEC LCD2190UXi 21.3" (best 4:3 display on earth first to use NEC's SA-SFT IPS panel)

NEC LCD2490WUXi 24" (best widescreen LCD there is esp. with the ATW polarizer)

NEC LCD2690WUXi 26" (another good choice if you need larger)

6. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

NEC are the best

thought you already had the monitor :) and just needed to hook it up

the new NEC the PA series are replacing the old 90 series so investing get the NEC PA 27 inch from BH photo :)

also if you use Aperture it can take advantage of a better card so update the card to hook it up :)