Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I have two monitors, 20" Aluminum display and older 20" plastic display, which are spanned together. The Aluminum display is the main display and the plastic display is the spanned monitor (which is the right of me). When I boot up my computer, the spanned display (secondary one) gets the first boot up stuff, like the Apple logo with the spinning thing below it. Then after that, it goes dark and the main display is used starting with the window that shows all the things starting up with the blue bar and what not. Not really a big deal, but two questions:

1) Is it possible to have the first "video signal" (not sure if that's the right term), of the Apple logo with spinning circle thing show up on the main display (aluminum) from the get go?

2) Today when I first turned the computer on, it did that. Meaning that the Apple logo with the spinning circle thing started on the main display first. Then I rebooted, but on the rebooted it, the plastic display was the first one to get the "video signal". Then the aluminum took over from there.

I hope that makes sense. It's always been like this, but today it started with the main display first which prompted me to post about it.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
tech4all said:
I have two monitors, 20" Aluminum display and older 20" plastic display, which are spanned together. The Aluminum display is the main display and the plastic display is the spanned monitor (which is the right of me). When I boot up my computer, the spanned display (secondary one) gets the first boot up stuff, like the Apple logo with the spinning thing below it. Then after that, it goes dark and the main display is used starting with the window that shows all the things starting up with the blue bar and what not. Not really a big deal, but two questions:

1) Is it possible to have the first "video signal" (not sure if that's the right term), of the Apple logo with spinning circle thing show up on the main display (aluminum) from the get go?

2) Today when I first turned the computer on, it did that. Meaning that the Apple logo with the spinning circle thing started on the main display first. Then I rebooted, but on the rebooted it, the plastic display was the first one to get the "video signal". Then the aluminum took over from there.

I hope that makes sense. It's always been like this, but today it started with the main display first which prompted me to post about it.

I think this has to do with the order, or places that you have your displays plugged into on the back of the computer. Also under System Preferences there is Displays where I believe you can play with the settings for where the second display is or which one is the first. I would say just play around and try connecting them in a different order in the back of the Mac, and see what settings you can play with under Displays. Otherwise, I don't know if there is a way to make it only boot up with one screen before spanning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.