Monitor Speakers Foam pads - Cheeky non apple quistion

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by DJ Catalyst, Sep 5, 2011.

1. DJ Catalyst macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Ive got a set of monitor speakers that i have stood on some foam packaging. Now it may be my imagination but they don't seem to output a great deal of Mid and was wondering if anyone know if it was these foam pads that may do this.

These are NOT the type of pads designed for studio work but simply foam from packaging were i work (which is a lot less dense).

Im not staying at the address atm where my setup is and was wondering if anyone knew form their general knowledge if this will the frequency output of my speakers.

I realise this isn't a apple question but i do use a 2011 mac mini for my production honest :)

any thoughts on this would be awesome

Cheers guys!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Yes, they are affecting the sound. You've changed the position of the speakers and have slightly decoupled them from what they had been sitting on.

Everything else in your room is also affecting the sound, including the nature of the surfaces and where they are in relation to the speakers. Your room will produce peaks and nulls across the frequency spectrum in different places in the room, so wherever you stick your head, you may hear more or less of a given frequency. This will likely change, perhaps radically, if you move your head even a few inches.

If your room is not treated, properly, then without measuring you won't know if what you're hearing properly represents what the speakers are outputting. It's why I say proper room treatment is more important than the quality of the speaker and the components feeding it.

3. DJ Catalyst thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent hopeful that is it il take them off when i get back.

Do you know were i can buy those panels that prevent sound bouncing around or what they are called?