Monitor Specs for the New 17" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thegivenone, Jan 23, 2009.

1. thegivenone macrumors newbie

Hi all,

After waiting a LONG time for the perfect Mac (for my uses) to be released, I am finally going to be purchasing a new 17" MacBook Pro. I am extremely excited about this and will be upgrading to the 2.93 Ghz processor and the 7200 rpm 320GB HDD.

The one thing I can still not decide on is the screen, and whilst I realize that there are already a million posts on this topic already in the forum, I still thought I would try and post my specific question for which I have not yet found an answer.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find full technical specs (contrast ratio, brightness, color gamut, viewing angle etc.) of the two display types (glossy and matte) for the new 17" MacBook Pro. I know that the new screen's specs can be found in Schiller's keynote, but I don't know where to find data on the Matte screen. Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think that Schiller mentioned the matte screen was identical to the one used in the previous MacBook Pro model and, therefore, did not feature the new specs. Can someone confirm this (I currently do not have access to an internet connection with sufficient speed to stream the keynote)?

This is a huge dillema for me as I am glad they now have a matte option, but I really hope this doesn't come at the cost of a noticeably inferior screen. I am actually a huge fan of the black bezel, but I am not too happy with the strong reflection off the screen (I tried out a couple of new MacBooks and 15" MacBook Pros in various conditions).

Any thoughts/sources?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Having seen them side by side I think the matte is inferior, but you can judge for yourself by going to an Apple store on Tuesday 3rd Feb and seeing them for youself. They will only have the base model in stock, but that doesn't really affect the screens.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/features-17inch.html
    Read where is says "2.3 million pixels of perfection." Sadly they havnt given any details there about the matte screen, but since it has the silver bezel and looks exactly like the old MBP's screen i'd bet its the same.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd get the matte.. even though my current 15" unibody mbp's glossy/glass is very very nice, I sure miss the matte option..

4. fil3333 macrumors member

wow.... you think the matte screen is the old mbp 17" screen? so without this 60% greater color gamut and other stuff? till now i thought its the same screen without glass. :confused:
    on apple.com they say the unibody screen has a contrast ratio of 700:1. does anybody know the contrast ratio of the previous mbp?
    thanks for bringing that up thegivenone! :)

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The screen on the glossy one is an improvement from the previous glossy, but I want apple to find a way to get a S-PVA screen in their 17 inch. The markets needs a push back towards S-PVA and IPS and push away from TN.

6. zanoii macrumors newbie

I think you are correct about that. I spoke to Apple (actually the scandinavian press contact person) a few weeks ago and they didn't know for sure (!), but suggested that the matte option is the same screen (panel) as the glossy, only without the glass.

I agree the way Phil put it made it seem like the matte screen was using the old panel though.

And the reason for the bezel being silver/metal is contrast.

Sorry about the grammar.. I'm Swedish and it's getting late. :)