Monitor Suggestion To Go Along With The Mac Mini? Would Like Thunderbolt Quality...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by iMas70, Oct 23, 2012.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I'd really like to go with a 27" iMac. It would probably be getting close to $2k after I configure it. Realistically, I don't use my desktop computer that much anymore so even though that iMac is REALLY sexy to look at and has a bunch of great features, it might be a lot more than I really should buy.

Looking at the new specs of the Mac Mini, the $799.99 version will be fine -

2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB - I'll upgrade to 12 or 16 GB on my own
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

I'd like a new display. Maybe not all of the features of the Thunderbolt but, something that offers close to if not the same quality in the 24-27" range.

Any suggestions from others using a non-Apple monitor with their Mini?

Thanks!

2. blanka macrumors 68000

If mods move the topic, please move the answers too!

Grab either a Dell U2711 (or the similar Fujitsu if you prefer white monitors), or go pro with the NEC PA271W. The latter is every inch better than the TB:
    -2560x1440 IPS
    -wide gamut: 98% AdobeRGB coverage.
    -ergonomic: tilt, pivot, swivel, height
    -KVM: hook up 2 macs and share USB devices
    -matte
    -10-bit colour (only interesting for Windows 7 right now) with 16 bit 3D lookup table for serious good calibration options (relevant for every use).
    -24 fps support for better movie editing (TB only does 60fps).
    -5 year warranty
    -better uniformity
    -AdobeRGB and sRGB calibrated auto-brightness presets (works easier and better for color management than self calibrating with a Spider or so)
    -hardware calibratable: you can tweak the monitor to get perfect scores on standard profiles.

3. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Good tips there. Although I don't consider 24 fps for movie editing all that important. If you shot properly at 1/48th of a second shutter speed, it looks quite cinematic even on a 60 fps monitor.

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great monitors but the are in the same price range as the TB so I'd be in the 27" iMac territory. Thinking about something in the $250. range. Even at that I start wondering, should I just go with a 21" iMac but after looking at the 30" that I have now, I rather not drop the size to much.

5. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Well, the Dell U2411 is quite nice, too! Just keep in mind it's a cheaper IPS panel to get the price down, so not that good for color critic work. Still better than most other displays in this price range.

6. BTGeekboy macrumors member

Are you thinking of the U2311? There's no U2411. The U2410 is a beautiful monitor though, worth the $500. (You can get it down to ~$410 if you wait for a sale.)

7. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

The latest Dell Ultrasharp monitors seem pretty good. I'm running an old Dell 2407WFP now but I've got my eye on the U2713HM which has USB 3.0 ports. Even though my current Mini only has USB 2.0 it doesn't hurt to plan for the future.

8. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

What monitor do you have now?

9. iMas70, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

In Europe I'm being tempted by the Dell UltraSharp U2412M eIPS (which needs a mini display port to display port cable in order to work with the thunderbolt Mac minis at full 1920x1200 resolution). Price is fairly good at around €265 = $340 and it has the advantage that it can be rotated vertically for 'professional' word-processing.

Looks like US Amazon has it as low as $260? of course using the 1:1 exchange rate!

11. iamsen47 macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the TBD upgrade. I like the new iMac form factor and hope the next TBD will adopt the same butter knife look (and of course USB3).

12. TetheredHeart macrumors newbie

You won't be sorry if you spend money on a great monitor. They can last through a couple computers, and will give you more pleasure than any other component. Don't end with something with a TN panel.

13. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I don't think you're going to get quite the same quality of the $1000 display for $250 unfortunately :)

Dell in general does make nice monitors, I've got dual 24" displays at work and they're good quality. I may be looking for one myself soon and will be debating whether or not to spend the money on the Thunderbolt display or go for a less expensive option.

Anyone ever used one of the CinemaView displays?

14. TetheredHeart macrumors newbie

Ugh, looks like a cheap knock-off and uses a crappy TN panel. Expensive for what it is, stay away.

15. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

The reviews have actually been pretty good but they're sporadic.

Problem is there isn't much out there that has any sort of aesthetic consistency with Apple's products other than, well, Apple's products :)

16. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Well, I wrote a review a year back when I worked at a Mac magazine, and I can tell you -- these things aren't the worst displays in the world, but they're double as expensive as comparable or even better displays from other manufacturers. For this kind of money, better get the Dell Ultrasharp U2711.

17. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Good to know, thanks. Running two Dell 24s here at work and they're solid.

It'll probably come down to deciding whether or not I want to drop the cash on a Thunderbolt display (if I don't go for an iMac first).

18. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for the suggestions! I stopped into the Apple store tonight and tortured myself for awhile. My mind has been all over the place on what to get. In the Summer I was set on a Mini then a 27" iMac then after seeing what's coming out and thinking about how much I don't use a desktop, I went back to the Mini.

But then... I walked into the Apple store... It's like walking into a Chevy dealer and seeing the shiny new 600+ horsepower Corvette glistening under the lights. The salesman says "your financed" as he stands there with the key fob (it's push to start) and a smile. I think about how fast it will be and with me being a visual creature, I think about how good it will look everyday that its in my sight. Devil on one side, shaking every dollar out of my wallet. Angel on the other side trying to catch them before they end up in the salesman's hands. And what do I end up with? A headache!

If I get a mini, I'm looking at the $799. i7. Add the trackpad, it's up to $870. For another $400.00, I can get a 21" iMac (i5). Might even be able to save $100. with the education price. I could probably be good with that if I didn't know that the 27" exists.

Understand my dilemma?

One option would be to get the Mini now then later, if I really can't live without the 27' TB display, spring for it then.

19. sunandsurf macrumors regular

in case it helps, read the critical review from amazon's site:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

you shouldn't base your decision on just one negative review but i think reading the review will be insightful...

i'm not knocking dell but amazon's price is around $800; for just about $200 more, you could buy the tb and have a bit more peace of mind in case something should go wrong.

good luck with your search.

20. iMas70, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm getting closer to ordering my Mac Mini and have stepped up the monitor search. I have these two in my watch list but would like to stay in the $400. or less range so the 27" would probably be taken out -

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO - $764.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JA0VKJ12DRWPM62SA4Q - $460.99

Remember, I'm currently looking at a 1280x768 30" Dell. The quality is "ok" until I start using something better! The more that I look, the more that I'm leaning towards a 27". Maybe... a 24" but I think that's the smallest I'll go with. I like a big display. I have a 19" sitting next to the 30. That's only used when I need to jump onto another computer once in awhile. 19" used to be great 10 years ago...

One thing that I've read about resolution is that some have small text. I've never really paid much attention to how resolution affects text size aside from changing settings on computers that I've owned. As with the monitor, I don't like small text. I prefer something that is normal and spread out/displayed very nicely. Are there any resolutions/aspect ratios that I should stay away from?

I'm going to stop into Best Buy to get a better feel for how some things look in person. Looking forward to putting the new system together!