Monitor suggestions - 2016 tMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Home_Brewer, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Home_Brewer, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

Home_Brewer macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have searched and read reviews and post until my head hurts so I am coming to you to ask for opinions from those who know and have worked with various monitors. I have been asked to order dual 27" monitors and a 15" tMBP for a very dear friend. I have read the horror stories associated with the LG 5k offering that Apple suggest. I have read mixed reviews of resolution issues on the LG 4k 27" offering. It seems that every dock/dongle/cable combination comes with some caveat.

Since this it going to an older gentleman and will be replacing his beloved 27" LED Cinema I would like to get a monitor that will run at similar resolution. It's okay if it is a 4k or 5k as long as I can set it up so that the text on the screen is the same size as he is used to with the cinema. Price is not an issue as much as finding something that will be 100% reliable, no kernel panics, no question of if the monitor is going to connect the first time when he plugs in. i need this to be as painless as possible for him. For those wondering, I realize that i could use a dongle for his existing cinema but he would like a second monitor and since cinemas are no longer available he is against having mis matched monitors on his desk.

Bonus points if the suggested monitor or solution can act as a hub similar to the cinema, but not required. I am also not opposed to buying non USB-C monitors as long as they have an HDMI port and I can reliably use a usb-c to HDMI cable such as this https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Thu...01LYS3Q5A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 , thoughts? Dongles are least preferable option since he does not care for desk clutter but I am open to that as well if anyone can suggest reliable dongle options. Is there perhaps a proven dongle that will do usb-c to dual hdmi and a usb-c charging passthrough? That would make a sweet one cable connection for him.

I really need to get the items on order later today so any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I am reading through the LG 5k thread. Are the new versions with better shielding dependable?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

From the 5K thread, it looks like the new version isn't actually shipping just yet––just models that have been sent in for repair. Should it be reliable, that would be the easiest solution (and best screen, if he doesn't mind the glare) for desk clutter.

I have a 4K P2415Q with a DisplayPort to USB C cable for my tMBP. It works well, but it took me a few models to get a screen that didn't have problems. There's also a 27" version. I'll be getting a TB3 dock next month to get the cables down to one.

3. afallnstar macrumors member

afallnstar

The replacement LG 5k monitors started shipping over the weekend. I have one on order and it will be delivered tomorrow.

4. Home_Brewer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Cougarcat - which thunderbolt 3 dock are you considering?

afallnstar - Please let me know how it goes with the new monitors. I would love to go with that if I can trust them.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I've preordered Caldigit's TS3 because I wanted the eSata, and it was the cheapest when I preordered it (sadly it's $299 now). It's also the only dock announced so far that does a full 85W charge.

6. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Any 27" 2560x1440 monitor would match the Apple display resolution and pixel size. There are a number to choose from; I might suggest the BenQ GW2765HT (partly because its anti-glare coating is lighter than some), but there are many others.