Monitor Switching Device - yes/no?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Patth9, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Patth9 macrumors regular

Patth9

Currently using a G5 desktop - Dual Processors - OS Tiger (10.4) with two monitors.

Is there such a device that would allow me to connect the two monitors on the G5 and concurrently on a Mac Mini? Of course, I know I could not use the monitors at the same time on two different computers, but what I want to avoid is connecting and un-connecting the monitors each time I wanted to change computers, some type of switching device.

I realize there are many versions of the Mac Mini. I am totally clueless in regards to the Mac Mini - new Apple delivery date appears to be sometime this month (Oct. 2012). I'm not against purchasing an older Mac Mini if I can make it work.

I hope My question is not hopeless.

Thanks

Patt

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are KVM switches (keyboard/video/mouse) that allow sharing monitor/keyboard/mouse I used to have one..try a google search of KVM switch..

3. Patth9 thread starter macrumors regular

Patth9

I had forgotten all about the KVM switches. A very long time ago I connected a Mac and PC together, USB was just an infant; it wasn't totally smooth, but that was then. I watched several YouTube demos. Thanks so much Old-Wiz.

I have several other questions concerning the PowerMac and Mac Mini, but I will ask in a separate posts to enable others with similar questions to identify answers more easily.

Thanks for wiping away a few cobwebs from the old brain.

Patt

4. drchuck macrumors newbie

I used a KVM between a Mac Mini G4/5 Tiger and a PC Vista for a couple of years and it worked perfectly, never a hitch.

Eventually, I/we went completely Mac and use Parallels Desktop when the "Darkside" is needed. I only have two PC programs that I use rarely, CorelDraw (never for the Mac) and TaxCut Supreme/Ultimate/Expensive which also will not be converted for the Mac although the bottom 3 grades of TaxCut have all been converted. I use that version of TaxCut solely because it has the IRS forms needed for trusts.

5. Patth9 thread starter macrumors regular

Patth9

That's good to know/read DrChuck. Some people think I'm nuts because I don't update my OS, but if it isn't broken, I don't want to fix it. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't update so we can stay with their long enduring products the way they did before OS 10. I still use OS 9 for a couple of programs, though I know me and G5 are on borrowed time.

I have another question concerning the KVM switch. Found a mac dual monitor y adapter cable. From the picture, it looks like I could connect my two monitors together using a Y adapter and thus use a single connection in the KVM switch. If this item is as I imagine it to be, do you think I would be able to use my dual monitors for both the G5 and Mac Mini?, assuming, of course that all connections are gender correct. Now, would I still be able to have NON-mirror monitors?

Your 2cents if you please,

Patt

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

A y adapter is probably for mirroring from 1 system to 2 monitors, I seriously doubt it would work the other way. If you did put it in you might damage the monitor with 2 computers trying to talk to it at once. You need some kind of switch on the adapter to direct the chosen incoming signal to the monitor.