Monitor to buy - Cinema or Dell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hj12345, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Hj12345 macrumors member

I have already made up my mind, there will be a Macbook Pro 13 (smallest model) but I must have stable and fine screen to it.

The best time would surely be pure if I bought an Apple Cinema 24 "with MacBook Pro - there's no comb to clear this. But Cinema costs just over 899 dollars and if I compare it with Dell, so it is a bit money in price differnece. What I mainly intend to do is work a bit with the pictures, look at HD-filmer/serier and use it as a TV using an external television thing.

The screens are of course the same panel (what I've read), and it is also the same screen real estate - it's worth paying them hundreds of dollars extra to get a Cinema? Cinema I think, is clearly much better looking togheter with Macbook Pro and also from Apple.

You who have an eye on Apple and Cinema; the current course is just over a year old, and I wonder if you think it might be a new update in a few months? Or, they possibly will reduce the price considerably to the present?

Why do I need to decide if this is because if I buy tonight with the Back-to-school-deal.

So...which screen would you choose? What do you recommend? Is there even a few on this board who have Cineman or is it too expensive for the people who hang out here?

DELL = http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/peripherals/monitor-dell-u2410/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=dfo

Apple Cinema = http://www.apple.com/displays/

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I just bought a refurbished 24" cinema display for $599.

It's fantastic and I have had no problems with i.

I can't find a price for the Dell that you posted, but I am looking at the Dell 2408 and with instant savings of $110 it's $439.

I can keep my power supply at the office now, so I never carry that around. Purchasing an additional power supply would bring the price of the Dell and Apple very close.

I only use it to connect my notebook, so the additional i/o is not a relevant argument for me.

3. Guy Croft macrumors newbie

CNET did a comparison several years back between the 30" monitors from Dell and Apple you may want to check out.

4. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I've never used a Dell, but I used to have an older 23" Cinema Display with an ADC connector. It lasted me 5+ years, and I only got rid of it because I sold the G5 tower that went with it. I thought it was fantastic.

If you're looking for the best deal, maybe a Cinema Display isn't for you. Personally, I would not hesitate to buy another one the next time I need a monitor. Aesthetics and buying a brand a know and trust would be key factors for me.

5. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Would you buy a PC from Dell? Then why buy their displays? It's the same old Dell crap.

6. Hj12345 thread starter macrumors member

Although it comes from Dell their screens is very well, what I heard.

7. GAS macrumors regular

This is the most idiotic statement I have read in quite some time.

Some dell displays are truly excellent, including the 2209WA which has yet to receive a negative review on major review sites.

Please keep your close-minded statements to yourself from now on.

8. ymarker macrumors member

I have the dell 2408wfp and it is excellent. It has a display port input and monoprice is coming up on 9/25 with a displayport->mini display port cable. The max resolution of the monitor is 1920x1200 though so dvi can carry that w/o any issues. More than that and you need to go up. I like the fact that you can set the monitor on portrait mode for web pages and I'd really like to buy another monitor on the side - just a plain old one nothing fancy as mostly a backup monitor, but I don't know if I can step down after the dell 2408wfp.

9. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Buy an Imac instead of an ACD.

20" or 24"

If you order today you get the free Ipod Touch deal which you can resell if you don't want it. YOu also get a free printer.

Buying an Imac will give an Apple keyboard and Mighty Mouse which you might want when sitting at a desk and using a monitor anyway.

a 20" iMac is less than an ACD if you resell the freebies and needed a keyboard/mouse anyway.

A24" iMac isn't too much more.

Also realize even if you don't use the iMac much it could act as extra storage or a place for time machine backups. It can also act as a router of sorts. Let it share your internet connection to your MBP. You wouldn't need a router. And of course it is a second full fledged computer.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you are getting them for around the same price...go for the ACD. On one condition though, and that condition is that you are ONLY going to be using your Macbook with it, nothing else. If you plan on hooking up another source to the monitor, say a game console or something, then the ACD won't work, obviously.

Also, they do NOT use the same panel, the Dell uses a S-PVA panel, where the ACD uses an IPS panel. In general, PVA panels have better contrast levels/black levels compared to IPS, but IPS has better color reproduction. Also, most PVA panels are wide gamut, so unless you calibrate correctly, colors will seem way over saturated.

I run a Dell 2709W, the 27" version of the 2408WFP, and I love it. Of course there were a few reasons for me picking this one over the ACD. One, I got it actually cheaper than the ACD, about half the price actually, and even with the refurb ACDs, my Dell was still $200+ less. Also, I hook up my PS3 to the monitor as well, so all the inputs really help out.

Hope that helps you out.

11. ktubaugh macrumors newbie

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I have 2 Dell 2408wfps right now but I'm trading up to an ACD 30" Two reasons:

I want to see what an IPS panel can do for my work compared to the S-PVA panel.

I want it to match my mac pro ;)

With that in mind, I would never hesitate in purchasing a Dell monitor if it wasn't for the aesthetic requirements. Can't beat the 3 yr advanced exchange warranty Dell offers.

For what its worth, I also have been reading much anticipation for the Dell U2410.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the for the 24" I'd get the Apple simply because it has a better panel—of course I care about IPS vs. PVA… now the Dell is a terrific monitor; now if you do plan to move up to the 30" I'd get the Dell since it both cheaper, offers more connectivity, and has practically the same panel.

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

At least the dell doesn't turn into a mirror whenever something dark appears on screen.