Monitor vs TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 30, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

If I get a Macbook, I will be giving up the large screen on the iMac. I will want a 20-24" display. Maybe more f I get a TV.

What are the differences between using a TV as a screen and a monitor as a screen? And the TV will be 1080p or 720p.

2. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

In a nutshell, TV's have lower resolution, and monitors have higher resolution. TV's are fine for watching media, monitors are better for web browsing and text editing.

You'll want a monitor also for pixels and color accuracy if going into design, web design, video, or photography.

There's more to say, but that's the gist of it.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Everything NickD said is right, BUT: If you get a 720p or 1080p HDTV this has the same resolutions as most monitors and would be fine for basic computing tasks (internet, word processing, music, video, iPhoto work, email, and calender).

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

1080p is higher resolution than a MacBook display, 720p isn't though.

Some TVs are very colour accurate, others are not. Depends what you get. Generally, they are very poor at reproducing colours and tend to over-highlight outlines or soften things up too much. The best TVs on the market produce a neutral, 'even' picture without feeling 'rich' or 'dull'. Higher resolution does not necessarily mean better. I'd love an Apple Cinema Display, but at the same time, I've used a TV before as a monitor, and it's one of the few times where I actually feel it works really really well, despite the considerably lower resolution than something of the same size from Apple.