Monitor w/ <5ms and low dot pitch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jay Kayess, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Jay Kayess macrumors newbie

I have a new MacBook Pro and would like a a large (24+) monitor with a 5ms or less response time and a low dot pitch. From what I understand, the Apple 27" monitor has a typical response time of 14ms (!!?!!) which is no where close to the 5ms or less that I am looking for. I want to get the best the first time around and would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I wouldn't really worry too much about the pixel response times. Most of those 5ms and under ratings are not accurate (as there is no standard way for a manufacturer to measure them). Others achieve those low times by using overdrive or other strange methods which hurt the image quality. On top of that, most of those 5ms panels are TN panels, which are the least accurate in terms of color and viewing angles anyway.

Is there any reason in particular you want one so low, or is it just the numbers are you looking at?

3. Jay Kayess thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for replying. I'm not too sure about using a forum. All of this is new to me and actually pretty exciting.

Anyway, somewhere I read and wrote down the following: "For gaming, make sure you get a monitor with a 5ms or less response time; and for a crisper picture, the lower the dot pitch, the better."

As you can see, I AM a newbie and was hoping someone could help me select a monitor that worked well with my new Mac. I am overwhelmed by the number of monitors and manufacturers out there and was just going to get the Apple 27" monitor until I read that the typical response time was 14 ms. That seemed pretty high (?) so I decided to ask for help.

Again, thank you.

Jan

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Well, there is no Apple 27" display. You are either looking at the Apple 24" display, or the 27" iMac. And either one of those has absolutely great image quality, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either. Keep in mind that the iMac isn't a display - its an entire computer.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

For gaming the only criteria you really need to be concerned with is the panel type. TN panels have the best response times, as as such, are the best for gaming. Apple's displays are IPS since IPS panels have better color and viewing angles, but suffer from slower response times.