Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Hi
Have an iMac from 2013 which is on its way out and thinking of upgrading to an M1 Mac Mini
Can anyone recommend a good* monitor with a built in webcam & speakers?

Thanks!

*Though ideally <$500

Reactions: Wordman

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
With that budget, you would be best served getting those components separately. I can almost guarantee you that any all-in-one you find will have speakers and/or webcam that are mediocre at best.

It is also going to be difficult to recommend anything because you haven’t stated what screen size and resolution you are looking for.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks sorry - would want a 27" (going *from* a 21" iMac)
Not sure what resolution would be best- I am not planning on intensive video editing but maybe 4K?
Trying to avoid cable clutter for all in one vs. necessarily looking for very best performance (less things for other family members to accidentally unplug/ get confused by)

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013

Not 4K but would be fine for most usage.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks though these are no longer available new - any recommendations for reliable resellers? (other than eBay)

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Im also leaving my old 21" iMac for a new M1 Mac (mini or imac) in the new year and hoped to find a good replacement screen for the mini. there seems to be a big gap in the market for an 'all-in-one' monitor solution (speakers/webcam/mic built-in). everything out there is the old retro PC dumb monitor, maybe speakers, or ridiculous webcam box glued to the top. nothing in an all-in-one neat package.

right now ive tried my 49" Sony 800h smartTV and its great but too big for what I want on my desk. im thinking a smart TV may be the best bet if Appl doesn't update the Thunderbolt Display. (2021 32" THB display plz!!)

Reactions: Wordman

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Hi
Have an iMac from 2013 which is on its way out and thinking of upgrading to an M1 Mac Mini

Thanks!

*Though ideally <$500
Did you eventually decide on a monitor? Like you, I have a late 2013 iMac (though mine is the 27-inch one). It's slowing down a bit now, so I'm considering a move to an M1, as I'd like to be able to work away from the big screen sometimes too.

Of course, having worked on the iMac, any monitor would need to be good to match up to 2560x1440, with decent speakers and a webcam. And not to mention good, solid construction with eco-friendly materials.

Seems really odd that, given the popularity of M1 machines, Apple doesn't have a display to suit (of course I'm ignoring the 5000 quid option). Wonder if we'll get one this year?

pldelisle

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2020
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I really doubt it.

Good displays with Webcam are rare. LG Ultrafine but they are expansive.

Dell U2720Q or LG 27UN850 are solid competitors in term of image quality. I’d mount an external webcam over it.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
True. But the iMacs are rumoured to be this year. And surely they’ll have similar screens.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
Hi

Thanks!

*Though ideally <$500
Well... in our office, with PCs, we have this one:
https://www.amazon.de/Philips-272P7VPTKEB-00-Monitor-Displayport/dp/B01KUQHQQE

If the German Amazon site does not work abroad, the model ID is 272P7VPTKEB/00, from Philips.

For office use, it is very good. Integrated webcam and speakers, options to adjust the screen, text is good, resolution rather good.
But of course, the sound is rather for VC than for enjoying music.

And I never tested it with my Macs.

At home, I have the LG Ultrafine 5K. Great monitor, but *slightly* above budget.

PaulMoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Did you eventually decide on a monitor? Like you, I have a late 2013 iMac (though mine is the 27-inch one). It's slowing down a bit now, so I'm considering a move to an M1, as I'd like to be able to work away from the big screen sometimes too.

Of course, having worked on the iMac, any monitor would need to be good to match up to 2560x1440, with decent speakers and a webcam. And not to mention good, solid construction with eco-friendly materials.

Seems really odd that, given the popularity of M1 machines, Apple doesn't have a display to suit (of course I'm ignoring the 5000 quid option). Wonder if we'll get one this year?
No I didn't yet! I'm inclined to go with LG (have one via my employer for work from home) - wish I could daisy chain a webcam into it (can't justify the cost of the Ultrafine with them built in)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.