Monitor Web Traffic & Parental Control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Jan 7, 2015.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I'm looking for an application that can control the visibility one would have when performing internet searches. I know you can increase your search settings to avoid getting inappropriate results, but is there a better way to manage this or use a parental control password that someone else has if they want to try to decrease the setting currently imposed on them?

This would have to be done on any device the person has (iPad, iPhone, Surface, MacBook, etc).

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use OpenDNS, this restricts access to any site I choose.

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate this recommendation. A pain to set up, but so far it seems to be working. Purchased the Prosumer license, so it works everywhere except at home right now. Trying to figure that out.

Using the newest Apple Extreme and I can't get the parental controls to work that they supply, only issue so far.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity how do you block images on search engines? OpenDNS doesn't seem to have a way to filter out explicit images, and safe search only works in certain scenarios but not all.

5. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Besides opendns, is there any third-party app, for web filtering concerning kids?
    I would like something locally in the computer, and not in the router.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn't see your reply. To be honest, I don't. I guess I never thought it an issue and so far my daughters haven't done searches that may be an issue in that regard.