Monitor with integrated webcam & speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Caezar, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

I am looking to replace my defunct iMac with a Mac Mini, as I would hate to have to throw the whole machine again, if one component were to fail.

I would like to reduce cable clutter and I am searching for a 20 or 24-inch monitor with integrated webcam and speakers.

I had no luck finding one using google. Do you have a recommendation?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are some conferencing TV's which have this combo, but your best bet is to go separately. Integrated speakers are on some TV/monitors, but a better bet might be the Dell Soundbar (a speaker system which clips under a Dell Ultrasharp monitor and in 20" and up, takes power from the monitor as well) and an Ultrasharp display. The Ultrasharps have built-in USB hubs so you can clip the camera to the display and plug it in to the monitor / hide the cables somewhere around there, which means you'll have four easily manageable cables (audio, USB, DVI and power) coming out of the bottom of the screen.

3. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Sesshi. This information is very useful. Actually, I was wondering whether anyone was selling speakers that can be clipped on the monitor.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Soundbar is one of the few that are around. I suppose it only makes sense if you sell as many monitors as Dell do. Some of the low-end Ultrasharp monitors don't have integrated power ports for the Soundbars so check before you buy.

5. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have the soundbar fitted on my 30" dell and can vouch for the sound quality .. :)

7. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

The dell SP.... something or other is a 22" that's silver with an integrated webcam and fits a soundbar. I have it and it works/looks fantastically.

8. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

The Ideal All-In-One Monitor -- Next Year?

It's a shame the Asus PW201 20.1 LCD display with webcam and speakers built-in just don't fit the bill: Did a bit of research and even the open source macam driver does NOT support the oddball, non UVC compliant webcam sensor built in to the PW201. God, when are web cam manufacturers gonna wake up? We have the UVC standard now for Mac OSX, Windows Vista and Linux, it's probably inevitable that built-in cams will become ubiquitous in displays soon.

Still an external cam gives you ALOT more flexibility and viewing angles than ANY integrated webcam ever will - and that's worth the inconvenience of yet another tangled cable hanging around. Some No-Guessing, it-just-works on a modern Mac - external UVC cam choices are listed at: http://mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ - Apple should lead the way and hit the market with a UVC iSight Cinema Display that's long, long overdue...