Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Looking for a reasonably priced monitor with a built in web cam for a Mini. Any suggestions? Should I look at Dell? I'm also concerned about how audio/video connect from a third party monitor to the Mini.

Thanks.

RoyJack

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
I apologize in advance for my general lack of computer savvy. I have owned Macs for years, and when my 2011 iMac finally died, I decided to go with the "newest and best" OS. I bought the Mac Mini (because I thought I had all of the components), only to find that lots of things (including dozens of apps) are not yet ready to work with Big Sur, M1. Right now my biggest problem is a lack of a Webcam / Microphone. I had a Logitech webcam that worked well, but I have been exchanging endless emails with Logitech and the only thing they could recommend was a $160 unit. I see that other people have done "work arounds" by creating a "guest," but if I log in as Guest, I won't have access to all of the emails and files that I need when I log in as Admin. Someone else said his logitech worked fine, but at the end of his post he disclosed that he was using Intel and not Apple. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

RoyJack

Tev11

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2017
Depending on your definition of reasonably priced, I like the LG UltraFine 5K that Apple sells from their website. Totally worth the investment on my end. Bezels are bigger, but it disappears once you use it. Webcam, microphone, and speaker are fantastic. Love how you can control all settings by the keyboard and no need to push any stupid monitor buttons.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I apologize in advance for my general lack of computer savvy. I have owned Macs for years, and when my 2011 iMac finally died, I decided to go with the "newest and best" OS. I bought the Mac Mini (because I thought I had all of the components), only to find that lots of things (including dozens of apps) are not yet ready to work with Big Sur, M1. Right now my biggest problem is a lack of a Webcam / Microphone. I had a Logitech webcam that worked well, but I have been exchanging endless emails with Logitech and the only thing they could recommend was a $160 unit. I see that other people have done "work arounds" by creating a "guest," but if I log in as Guest, I won't have access to all of the emails and files that I need when I log in as Admin. Someone else said his logitech worked fine, but at the end of his post he disclosed that he was using Intel and not Apple. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

RoyJack
I'm using an M1 MacBook Air with a Logitech Brio 4K webcam. While I'll admit it's a current model camera (and a pricier one at that), it works perfectly with my M1 Mac, including with FaceTime. Zoom and WebEx also work as expected. Drivers weren't required but I did install the Logitech Logitune app so I could adjust the zoom of the camera (I wanted it zoomed in a bit instead of full-frame as per default). And while that app isn't M1-optimized, it works just fine.

The only other Logitech cam I have is a c920 but it's connected to my PC at work. I can test it next week though if you like.

Last edited:

RoyJack

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
I am starting to get a little frustrated with all of the things that don't work with Big Sur. I found a recommendation for a really inexpensive camera, AUKEY 1080p, and while the camera works, I can't seem to find any way to adjust the volume. Nothing appears when I look at audio, other than the "internal speakers" of the MM. That is what I am using right now, but the volume is really low and I may return this to buy something else. I have seen on other sites that people have had problems using the MM A1 with the Logitech c920. I will check out the Brio 4K, but this is difficult for someone like myself who is not familiar with nor comfortable with all of the various "specs" that others discuss. The original appeal of Apple was the total simplicity of "plug and play." That is not happening here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I am starting to get a little frustrated with all of the things that don't work with Big Sur. I found a recommendation for a really inexpensive camera, AUKEY 1080p, and while the camera works, I can't seem to find any way to adjust the volume. Nothing appears when I look at audio, other than the "internal speakers" of the MM. That is what I am using right now, but the volume is really low and I may return this to buy something else. I have seen on other sites that people have had problems using the MM A1 with the Logitech c920. I will check out the Brio 4K, but this is difficult for someone like myself who is not familiar with nor comfortable with all of the various "specs" that others discuss. The original appeal of Apple was the total simplicity of "plug and play." That is not happening here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
What do you mean volume? You mean the microphone sensitivity? That should be controlled by the app (like Zoom). Otherwise, that camera doesn't have a speaker if that's what you mean by volume.

RoyJack

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
By volume, I mean the level of sound. I am surprised when you say there are no speakers on the webcam as there appear to be two speakers on each side. The only audio I get is from the internal MM, and I cannot "see" the webcam anywhere to adjust any kind of volume. Everybody says you can adjust volume, but - I'm sorry - I don't know how. As I said, I am not skilled at using any of this stuff. That's why plug and play is so attractive. What may be easy and obvious to you is a mystery to some of us.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
By volume, I mean the level of sound. I am surprised when you say there are no speakers on the webcam as there appear to be two speakers on each side. The only audio I get is from the internal MM, and I cannot "see" the webcam anywhere to adjust any kind of volume. Everybody says you can adjust volume, but - I'm sorry - I don't know how. As I said, I am not skilled at using any of this stuff. That's why plug and play is so attractive. What may be easy and obvious to you is a mystery to some of us.
Those 'speakers' are microphones. No webcams have speakers.
I have one of those Aukey webcams at work. The picture is quite serviceable in good lighting, but the low-light performance is about what you'd expect from a $49 camera (not great).
However, those are not speakers.

Oh, and plug & play on the Mac works great, but you've got to make sure what you're plugging in works on the Mac to begin with. You can't necessarily take bargain-basement PC hardware and plug it in to a Mac and just assume it'll work. Look for peripherals that specify Mac compatibility.

RoyJack

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Very much appreciated the clarification. I will stop looking for how to increase the sound. I guess I will just have to listen more carefully or put on my headphones. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.