Monitor won't turn on?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dobro03, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dobro03 macrumors member

I have a Mac Pro 8 core that is almost 2 years old. Still running Leopard and 10.6 I believe.

This morning all worked great, and after a lunch break the 30" Apple monitor won't turn on. The power lights on the monitor. We substituted an older 22" we have and that won't work as well.

We tried both video inputs on the back on the computer and still nothing.

When we turn on the computer we hear the Apple signature sound and even though there is no visual on the monitor, this computer has a QuicKey keystroke to shut down the computer and this works.

Any suggestions? Is this a graphics card failure?

thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Graphic Processing Unit aka video card, graphics card etc

Did you try those steps in my link?

5. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Still only get the black screen with computer on.

6. Major Reeves macrumors regular

Have you replaced the graphics card? Is the damaged card a 8800gt?

7. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up taking it in to an Apple repair place. It's covered under Apple Care. But we are a music production company and we are in the middle of a TV job so we can't be down too long....

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did they have any GPUs there? You could ask if you could upgrade to e.g. ATI 4870 and pay the difference so that you could get it right away

9. DualShock macrumors 6502

Could also be the power brick.

Just got my monitor back from the Apple repair depot yesterday. Sent it in for the same issue. Sometimes won't power on, sometimes won't wake from sleep. They gave me a new power brick.

10. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

I checked it with another monitor and that didn't turn on either. They did a quick test at the repair shop and the monitor didn't turn as well.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully we will find out today what is up.

11. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Got my computer back last week and they couldn't duplicate the problem other than when the assistant 1st checked it in.

So, it worked great all week at my studio but just this morning I got the same black screen even though the computer is on. Turned off the computer with a QuicKeys key stroke, turned on the computer again and all is well!

I can't afford to NOT have this computer work as I am doing a TV show and need the computer for our ProTools HD set up. The machine currently has a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card in it. Do you think I should just replace the graphics card on my own (even though we are covered under Apple Care) or could it possibly be some other issue?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

12. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

13. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

this sound uncannily similar to a problem I'm having (in pretty much every sense) I've just posted a thread on it. Mine's going back tomorrow I'll let you know what happens!

Saying that I have a Nvidea.

14. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I just had this same problem with my 1.5 year old 8-core mac pro with 8800 graphics card. It was fine in the morning, and in the afternoon: black screen on my 30" ACD. No output from either dvi port. I also had apple care and had the card replaced for free, but I checked online and found that this was a somewhat common problem for a 2008 mac pro with the ati 8800 graphics card with 1.5 to 2 years on it.

15. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

Let me know what happens. Unfortunately, our computer didn't have the problem at the Apple dealer, so even though we have Apple Care they can't replace the card until it doesn't work at their shop....

16. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member