Monitor won't wake. Totally stumped.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RCedit, Apr 4, 2009.

1. RCedit macrumors newbie

I can't get my monitor to display. I've connected it my laptop to confirm it's functional but when connected to my MacPro it won't display. I was convinced my 2 year old had gotten a hold of my keyboard and somehow just turned the display down but I've tried everything and can't get it to work.
    Could my card have gone bad? Seems unlikely. Tell me what I'm missing.

2. Lucibelle macrumors member

Did it ever display hooked up to the MP? Are you using any adapters? Have you tried/could you try other monitors? Does your MP seems OK otherwise? It could be the card, especially since faulty electronics tend to fail sooner more than later.

Is there anything else that you've added to or installed in your Mac? New hard drive, RAM? I've been transferring files from an older external FW drive. I went to restart my MP, and it wouldn't shut down, just hangs at the background pic. Turns out the FW drive wouldn't unmount at shutdown or mount at startup, which caused the system to hang at a blue screen. Disconnected it and all is well. Not quite the same problem as yours, but something to consider.

3. RCedit thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the monitor has been working with the MP. No adapters, straight DVI. I don't have another monitor to test (unless someone can tell me how to use a laptop just as a monitor).
    I can accept that my graphics card is bad. Although it's very annoying considering it's only 4 months old.