Monitored Home Security Reviews

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blevins321, Dec 8, 2011.

1. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Evening all,

I was hoping to reach out to the community for some reviews/ideas regarding a home security system. My mom had an attempted break-in last night and is terrified that it may happen again. I'm considering a security system for a large portion of my Christmas gift now.

I don't know much about them, and most sites don't have prices listed without a "home inspection." She lives in a 2-bedroom condo, multi-person building and each person has their own 2 floors. Anyone have a monitored (ADT-type) system with a similar size home that could give me approximate pricing and company suggestions?

Thanks!

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

ADT and many other companies have 99$ install specials all the time, sometimes including the equipment. Usually the alarm system itself is anywhere from $50 to $300 depending on how many sensors you need, ect.
    I haven't looked at subscription prices since about two years ago, but I've seen install specials in the paper a few times a month.

3. blevins321 thread starter macrumors 68030

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

Mine was installed and monitored by a local company. I also had the system installed with the system that lets me arm/disarm, see every action recorded by the system (every time it was armed/disarmed, door opened, etc), and log right into the keypad from the internet. It also texts an emails me if the alarm goes off, or for whatever else I set up.

I think my monthly cost is more because of all the above, but it's $32.95/mo for monitoring. Since this is a local company, I would think the large companies would be less. I actually think their base cost was something like $21.95.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There are a handful of outfits who will monitor your system for right at $20 or a tad less. Don't be afraid to shop around.