Monitoring OS X Update Downloads

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mastaj, Feb 14, 2009.

1. mastaj macrumors newbie

Recently I've been frustrated by having Mac OS X automatically downloading all software updates without asking. Sometimes I am on an internet connection where my downloading is limited and I don't want to be wasting the bandwidth on multiple updates that I don't need that urgently. I feel like earlier versions of OS X never started downloading the update without your permission to start the updating process. Is there anyway to ensure that the OS doesn't perform such tasks without having to resort turning off my wireless?

I'm running 10.5.6 on a MacBook.

Thanks in advance!

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Don't run everyday in an Admin account. Then whenever there's an OS X d/l you will have to enter the username and password. This is the only way I am aware of, although these may be others.
    Morod

3. mastaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply!

Do you mean that I should make a second account on the machine? Will that have any implications for the tasks I can perform in a non-admin account? Like, will I be restricted from moving/opening any files/programs on the computer in a non-admin account? I've always used a private computer, and I don't want to lose any of the operational capacity that I'm used to right now on my machine...

Also, are you sure that the password is to start the download, not to start the installation of an already downloaded package?

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

In the system preferences under "software update" it has a box for "download important updates automatically". Just uncheck that and you should be fine, I would think.

5. mastaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Are important downloads only the ones related to the OS (e.g. security updates, firmware, etc...)?
    Thanks

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The important downloads I believe are classified as such depending on whether the system needs to be restarted for the update to apply/install.

7. mastaj thread starter macrumors newbie

But what about the iLife updates that add up when downloaded at the same time. How do I stop those, since they wouldn't be classified as updates that require restart...?

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Disable the option for Software Update to check automatically either daily, weekly, or monthly. When you don't need the bandwidth, you'll have to manually run it from the Apple menu.

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Correct, that's how I have mine setup. I think it's a little misleading as to what important downloads are.....I don't think there is a difference.

My experience, uncheck that box and it will NEVER automatically download an update again. I always get notified of updates, but I have to initiate the download. This goes for any update that come through Software Update (whether it requires a restart or not).

I'd still have it check daily/weekly/whatever you want. It will now just notify you that updates are available to be downloaded and installed.

-Kevin

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Here's a KB article on software update:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338

Also, if you set it to still check automatically, but not download, here's how you can select which updates you want to download if multiple appear:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2357

This is useful if you are on your limited connection and a bunch of updates comes through, but you want to skip all but the most critical.

-Kevin

11. mastaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thanks for all the help. No more crazy downloading without my permission!