Monitoring software to spy on kids

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipoppy, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ipoppy macrumors 6502

Guys,
    I need good reliable monitoring software to spy on my kids. :D Especially for keystroke and chat recordings.
    There are few products like that available but after reading reviews they all seems waste of money.
    Is there anyone out there who is using something reliable?

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, it's called talking to your kids and trusting them.

3. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

You mean like all of those parents on tv after a shooting saying "I know my son, he's not capable of this" type of trusting?

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. ipoppy thread starter macrumors 6502

I am really appreciated for your useful input here. Please do me a favor and call back when you grown up and have kids.
    Bottom line is kids aren't always the best judges of what's best for them. However I am not in the position to explain that to you.
    By the way ask Apple to remove Parental control then if you are so right about your statement.
    Anyone else?

7. Shrink, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Just an observation...undoubtedly worth nothing....

When kids get online and run up huge bills, or get in horrible situations online...there is a hue and cry criticizing the parents for not monitoring their kids.

When someone wants to closely monitor their kid's online activities as part of responsible parenting....they're criticized and told to talk to their kids (assuming they don't do that) and to "trust their kids"...as if kids never do stuff they shouldn't do and they never lie to their parents.

It seems that parents just can't win here...

Just one man's observation...:D

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oddly, parents aren't always the best judge of what's best either. Fancy that.

I'm not asking for you to be in a position to explain it to me, I'm asking you to be in a position to explain it to your kids.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is a pretty good article showing how to use the included parental controls to lock things down pretty well. Like you mentioned, there don't seem to by any really good aftermarket options... at least none I have run across.

MacRumors. Home of condescending and unsolicited parenting tips! :D

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I've setup a few for customers. The only monitoring software I have seen that is any good for Mac is Spector Pro.

There are two drawbacks. It requires you to have access to the computer to retrieve logs. It won't monitor admin accounts so only you can have admin access.

The same company also has a different product that sends you results by email. So it is more convenient. However the logs aren't so detailed.

Keep in mind this is monitoring not control software.

Steer clear of WebWatcher. Their advertising sounds great. But the software is difficult to setup. It is also very limited. Rather than monitoring at the OS level it is program specific. So you would have to really lock down the computer for it to monitor anything.

11. ipoppy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for...and is cheap:D

12. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Good find...

----------

Thanks for being a proactive parent. I've got 6 children and & 4 grandchildren. It's not a matter of trust, it's just caring and being smart. Good luck.