Monitoring Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

HI, folks. as a concerned parent, I would like to monitor my son's internet use. I believe he has a right to privacy, but without getting too personal, he's been having some problems lately and I want to make sure he is safe. I was hoping someone might point me in the direction of piece of software that can run hidden, and keep a history of his computer usage. If it's obviously running, he'll just close it. He empties his browser history frequently, so I'd like a way to monitor his usage without his knowledge. I feel like a sneak, however it really is for the best in this case... Is there such a software available?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Without knowing the full situation, it's hard to suggest. However, my guess is that a technological intervention is unlikely to solve your worries -- it may just make the matter worse.
    Why not sit down and have an adult conversation with your son? Choose a neutral location, or a place he a) will find comfortable and b) can leave if the conversation turns south. Same goes for you.

4. ajx22 macrumors regular

5. closebeauty macrumors newbie

Power Spy For Home/Office is a well designed and all-in-one spy software for home and office use. Monitor how your computer has been used while you are away.:)

• Stealth and undetectable surveillance
    • Log document and file used & clipboard data
    • Log keystrokes including MSN ICQ, AOL and Yahoo Messenger
    • Log emails and websites visited

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you're on Leopard, you could add parental restrictions to his account but leave the internet open - it just logs the site for a month or so. You just have to make sure his account isn't administrator and your admin account is secure. I don't think it would show up in any way for him. It'd be hidden in other words.

As a personal thing, you may want to tell him that you are going to monitor it though, as a respect for his privacy.