Monitoring Video Through Firewire?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shouldberunning, Jun 24, 2009.

1. shouldberunning macrumors member

EDIT - I decided the below information was too wordy so to simplify: I have cable TV streaming in through my Firewire port. What is a good program for viewing it?

So today I decided to run a cable from our TV room to my laptop desk so I can watch "educational" programming. But I ran into a small problem:

CableVision to old VCR so I can make use of its built-in tuner, RCA cables from VCR to ADS (Converts inputs to RCA & Firewire out), and Firewire from ADS to MacBook.

This all works fine but I then realized I have no decent program to watch the video on. I can open Quicktime and see a small window, and no doubt if I hit record the sound would be captured as well but the sound is not audible while monitoring.

I tried iMovie and again had a small window to watch. Still not what I want.

So what can I use to watch the video from my Firewire full screen and with sound?

TY for any input.

2. Kyeris macrumors 6502

3. shouldberunning thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks guys. Unfortunately VLC was the first thing I tried. It's wants me to use eyetv which I don't have. It seems to have no option to simply poit it at the Firewire.

It's most frustrating to have this signal coming in that I can clearly see in Quicktime via new video file. Seems like there should be a simple full screen viewer out there but I can't find one.

Thanks again.