Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james6000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
UK
Are there any programs present that can be used to monitor what websites are being visited through my wireless router.

if it helps, my router is a Netgear DG834PN

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Are there any programs present that can be used to monitor what websites are being visited through my wireless router.

if it helps, my router is a Netgear DG834PN

Best thing i can tell you is google Network Monitoring Software "OS X"

Brian

james6000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
UK
No offense but thats not really specific enough.

I posted in these forums because I wanted the opinions of the members on what they find effective, rather than just presenting me with a list of non specific software

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
No offense but thats not really specific enough.

I posted in these forums because I wanted the opinions of the members on what they find effective, rather than just presenting me with a list of non specific software

no offense either but I read your initial post to ask for just such a list of software. Biting the hand that feeds is not the best way to guarantee more specific responses down the line...

That said, could you be more specific as to your reasons for and requirements of said monitoring? I ask because depending on your answer(s) to the above, I think I have some ideas for you that use a different approach than the one you mention.

james6000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
UK
no offense either but I read your initial post to ask for just such a list of software. Biting the hand that feeds is not the best way to guarantee more specific responses down the line...

That said, could you be more specific as to your reasons for and requirements of said monitoring? I ask because depending on your answer(s) to the above, I think I have some ideas for you that use a different approach than the one you mention.

Ok, I have my own wireless network setup at home and I require software that can be setup on my own computer (as the master computer if you will) to monitor what websites are being accessed through the router and via which computers. I am aware that I can install software onto individual computers to monitor that, but due to the number of computers to be monitored that would not be very practical.

So if you could help me with this problem I would be very grateful.

Nevertheless thanks for your helpfulness so far!

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
http://berkeley-packet-monitor.winbyte.net/

and

http://www.filebuzz.com/files/monitor_network_traffic/1.html

and

http://www.discount-softwares.com/soft/Internet/Network_Utility/12733_net_activity_diagram.htm

The third one looks promising for what you are wanting to do, the second link, has a bunch of different softwares, of which some may do what you want.

I think the issue is that you will need to access your router's logs, and create something to analyze the ip's that have been visited, and do a whois lookup for each one, and create a report for that. I'm sure in limited bundles, Excel could be made to do this, or a PHP version would be able to...or you could write a terminal script, and use automator to make it work as well.

Best,

Brian

NoOneButMe

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2006
You could set up a box between your connection and the router (So it'll be Internet <-> Box <-> Router <-> Computer instead of Internet <-> Router <-> Computer) and tell that box to keep a list of all websites that are visited.

To try and do so via wireless will most likely slow your network down - Wireless is slow to start, and to filter all connections through your computer will take even longer.:rolleyes:

It'd be easier to install a keylogger or something along those lines - and have it email you back every day or something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.