Monitors advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaaamie, Dec 24, 2018.

1. jaaamie macrumors newbie

Looking at purchasing a second display for my 2017 MacBook Pro with a second machine (Microsoft Surface Laptop 2) for a windows environment. Have a pretty good deal going on with Dell right now and interested in a couple of options. Looking for a little advice on this as I would obviously like to make the best decision I can.

Most of my work is in UX/UI and Front-End dev. I don't really do much print work anymore but occasionally will have a small print project from time to time.

Looking at the Dell U2718Q, UP2718Q, and UP2716D

I've never really paid much attention to monitors before so the U2718Q does sound appealing with 4K resolutions but doesn't provide 100% AdobeRGB whereas the UP2718Q and UP2716D do. I do like the cost of the U2718Q :) Wondering if saving the extra cash and going with a 4k display is the best option for my work use or if I should be looking at something that will allow for 100% AdobeRGB (or closer to it) as the others do. Shelling out 1500 for a monitor seems a bit steep (although doable if really needed). Will there be a noticeable difference in resolution or anything with one vs the other?

Also, Im not a gamer so have no use for gamer req's.

Any info or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I've got a Dell UP2719D on the way to add screen space to my late 2015 iMac. I have to admit I have no idea as to whether this was a good decision.

It looks like you have higher needs than I do, as I simply want to expand my desktop so I don't have to manage my iTunes, Safari, Apple Mail, Word, and iPhotos as much.

I'll be looking for other people to respond to gauge. I do hope the portrait mode on the U2719D I purchased works with my iMac as my desk space is limited. Dell has so many options it is difficult to decide what to buy.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2018 ---
    I've got a Dell UP2719D on the way to add screen space to my late 2015 iMac. I have to admit I have no idea as to whether this was a good decision.

It looks like you have higher needs than I do, as I simply want to expand my desktop so I don't have to manage my iTunes, Safari, Apple Mail, Word, and iPhotos as much.

I'll be looking for other people to respond to gauge. I do hope the portrait mode on the U2719D I purchased works with my iMac as my desk space is limited. Dell has so many options it is difficult to decide what to buy.