Monitors and color gamut

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigsnowdog, Dec 3, 2010.

1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

I have been working to select a monitor for photo editing, to be used with a refurbished Mac Pro I will receive in about a week.

I find the more I learn about monitors the more I realize I don't understand. There is a really good article on color gamut here.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

I actually don't think there's much point to wide gamut monitors in photography, or at least beyond Adobe RGB. web images are all sRGB, and all quality monitors can pretty much display sRGB in its entirety. printers at best just jut into Adobe RGB in certain colors...so why go through the expense and hassle to get a wide gamut to display images correctly?

3. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

Given all I have read, I would not disagree with you. Unfortunately, it seems many of the new monitors regarded as high quality happen to be wide gamut. Some from Dell, for example, and the HP LP2475W.

I was about to buy the HP ZR24W until I discovered no one has any. HP says they are over 10,000 units back ordered.

I find some NEC monitors that are standard gamut, but are in the $1,000 vicinity, and I am not sure I want to spend that much.

It is not easy to find monitors categorized by standard vs wide gamut color when searching.