Monitors and iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by confusedxx, Nov 14, 2009.

1. confusedxx macrumors newbie

I am considering buying a iMac 27" and was wondering about how many browsers you can have open next to each other and still see the full webpage?

Alternatively, could I connect a second monitor to the iMac to get more real estate?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to the manufacturer of the iMac, you can connect an external monitor to the Mac.
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

How many browser windows you can have open at the same time, depends on the width of the webpage, which is quite individual. If it's not flash or some other static frame set, by resizing the window you can also resize webpages. Try it with this site for example.

The 27-inch iMac has a horizontal resolution of 2560 pixel, assume a standard website has a width of 800 pixel, you can get more than one browser window side by side.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have a 27" iMac on order, replacing an HP PC that has a 30" monitor. I would have moved to an iMac earlier if the 27" screen had been around. Dropping from 30" to 27" is manageable... but I would not have been happy with a 24".

Now for my question... can I drive a 2nd high res monitor off of the 27" i7 iMac? The extra 30" monitor uses dual link DVI, and is run at 2560X1600. I have the mini-display port to dual link DVI cable on order.

/Jim

4. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

well on my 20"imac i can juuuuuust about get 2 full screen windows side by side... so with a 27 i reckon 2 very comfortably, and 3 possibly at a stretch... however if you hook up a nice 30" external then i would say 5 windows open at ease[​IMG]

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes. > http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Completely depends on how big you have your browser windows and what websites you go to. I usually have my windows a little less than half the width of my 30" screen so about ~1024 pixels wide at a guess. Of course, if you use 800x600 windows then you could fit three in width wise.

7. Trimmer2 macrumors member

Closely looking at...

I'm closely looking at the 27" i7 and hooking up one of my 24" monitors.

Current set up is:

Late '08 MBP w/24" monitor
    '09 Mac Mini w/24" monitor

I run Parallels on both systems so I can use my trading platform Windows but, am short on real estate.

I was thinking about putting the MBP in a vertical stand and keep the 24" monitor hooked up for email and "other" stuff while trading. I would get the 27" iMac as my primary and hook up my other 24" monitor and sell/give my mac mini away. I thought about the Mac Pro but, not cost effective as I'd have to buy an additional 24".

Anyone know of any issues dragging screens between the 27 and 24 in Parallels? I've heard of issues when two different screen sizes are used with Parallels. I'm looking forward to getting some real estate!!

Next upgrade might be a downgrade to just a 13" MBP or Macbook for traveling...or an MBA. I may have a hard time with the small screen though...

8. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Depends on the website width. 760px and 960px are probably the most common dimensions right now, but there are also (as someone mentioned above) websites with "elastic" layouts that adjust to your browser window width, plus pretty much every other size you can think of.