Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jortymor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Decided to get a mac mini vs. a 21.5 imac due to all the issues with the yellow tint and screen flicker. Could use some recommendation for monitors and the best type of connection I should look for.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
connection dvi or vga as the mini comes with dvi and a dvi to vga ,unless you want to connect it to a tv ,
but you said monitor so recommending one
hmm all depends on your budget for the monitor ,and the size of it , no point of recommending a apple cinema display if you dont have the budget for it ..if you know what i mean

jortymor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
My budget for a monitor is $250, but would it look as good as the imac monitors? The imacs at Best Buy today looked great,but a mini would fit my needs.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
My budget for a monitor is $250, but would it look as good as the imac monitors? The imacs at Best Buy today looked great,but a mini would fit my needs.

Get a monitor with DVI because the Mac Mini already comes with a Mini-DVI to DVi adapter. The monitors in iMacs are IPS/LED backlit which are arguably the best kind of monitors, but expensive. There are cheaper TN monitors which aren't for professionals, but perfectly fine for the everyday user.

If you want IPS/LED backlit, get the Apple 24in Cinema Display which is $599 for refrub.

If you want a TN display, get the HP 2009M. It is only about $140.

jortymor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Thanks for the info. I take that you are happy with your setup. I have seen good reviews about a Dell 2309W monitor.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I have the Acer H233H
It has DVI,Hdmi, and VGA inputs on the back, and comes with all the
cables for each. The display is probably one of the best I have seen
aside from Apple's. It's only like 200 bucks depending on where you go.
Heres a Link.

talkingnewmedia

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
Chicago
Here is my set-up, but it won't be very helpful, I'm afraid. As you can see it involves two old 20" Apple Cinema Displays -- but for me this is the perfect set-up.

Specs: mini, two 20" Cinema Displays, iSight, LaCie DVD burner, LaCie CD burner, 1Tb Western Digital external hard drive, 250 gig LaCie external hard drive, 250 MicroNet external hard drive, Soundsticks, Epson R1800 and RX580 printers, Epson 3200 scanner, iPhone, Earthdesk for desktop, wired keyboard (I prefer one with a number pad) and a Mighty Mouse.

Some of this stuff is almost ten years old but is in fine condition (which is more than I can say for myself). The bottle of Pinot Grigio is only a couple years old and was not strategically placed, believe it or not -- it is Saturday evening, after all.

2u6d7js.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.