Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TommyMacBrown, May 24, 2009.

1. TommyMacBrown macrumors newbie

I have searched the forum, and have read some very intersting stuff. Most over my head.
    I bought a PowerMac G5, which will be here Tuesday. My purpose in posting is to get your opinion on what monitor I should buy. My budget is $500, and my primary computer use is graphic design.
    I am making the switch from PC to Mac. I have a NEC 24" AccuSync LCDWMCX hooked to the PC. Had it a couple of years, no problems. Seems like a good monitor, but I have never used an ACD, so I have no way to compare. I am not throwing out the PC, so I need another monitor for the Mac.
    Which makes more sense, buying a used ACD, or a new monitor from Brand X?
    Thanks for your help.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Not sure what you paid the the G5 but I think I would of looked at a new iMac. By the time you spend $500 for a monitor plus the price of the G5, I don't think you would of been to far off in price difference.

3. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Which Monitor

Well, I first bought a refurbished iMac 20" from Apple.Nice machine. My first Mac. I loaded CS4 Master on it. Ran great. I then thought bigger is better, I will sell it and get a iMac 24". I sold it for more than I had in it, but I just don't like the idea of not being able to get inside the machine easily. Maybe I'll beef this one up and sell it. If I can keep making money pretty soon, I'll have a free Mac.

However, Help me with good monitor choices for the G5!!!

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Get an HP LP2475w. 24", IPS display with many inputs, high quality for the price. It's a little more than $500 - more like $550, but you can find it cheaper on eBay if you have to. It's a very good display for the money. Much better price/performance ratio than any ACD you care to name.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

G5s are getting a little long in the tooth for CS4 right now. I wouldn't advise holding on to it for very long since PowerPCs are losing value fast and its only going to get worse if, as reports say, Snow Leopard (due out in few months) is Intel only. You might want to consider getting a new Mac Mini and pimping it out with a 500gb 7200rpm drive and 4GB RAM. It'd certainly be faster than the G5 and would likely hold its value better.

Anyway, as far as monitor choices go, people have always been big fans of the 24" Dell screens in terms of value for money.

I'm just wondering how long it'll take for you to end up selling the G5, selling the PC and getting a Mac Pro. :p

6. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-7345&cs=19&c=us&l=en

...great monitor with the inputs you need, and a HDMI port just incase you wanna hook up a digital cable box or a PS3 :D

CrackBookPro:cool:

7. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Alas, its not due for release until the beginning of September.

Edit: BTW, why don't you consider getting another NEC 24" AccuSync LCDWMCX? If you're happy with your first one then why not get a matching one? Could get a good priced one second hand and that way you'll have matching screens - perfect for such a time when you decide to use them both on one machine.

9. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Spanky

Well Capt. Kirk, I wonder the same things you wonder, its just that my ears are different.

Probably September. I am not going to put CS4 on the G5, but CS3.

Thanks for responding

10. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

if that 24" is a good product...I'm buyin'

I've never heard of Collins America, so please send posts/review back when you get your 24".

If you want cheaper 24" than a $299 Dell that I mentioned ^ - they're out there...just keep lookin. But for a legit knock-off Apple LED...I have no idea except for the one you mentioned.

11. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

CrackBookPro

If you go to their web site, you can put in a non-binding reservation for one. That is what I did.

http://www.cinemaview.com/

Click on the reserve . . . . link, upper right.

Thanks for the reply and tip on the Dell. Do you have that monitor?

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

yes I have it, I got it on a one day online sale for $199...I couldn't resist, especially since it had an HDMI. :D

I am definitely thinking about the CinemaView's...:eek: I don't like spending that amount of moola for a screen, but I might just do it for my UniMB ease of use. I would also purchase the i360 for the monitor [ http://www.raindesigninc.com/i360.html ] ...hoping it fits???

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you've got a $500 budget, I suggest getting the most out of it...why settle for a TN panel if you can afford something better? You're already used to a relatively decent screen from NEC. Doesn't seem like a great idea to go down a step to the Cinemaview or the Dell screens suggested here.

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmmm....no built-in iSight camera (like the 24" LED ACD) and probably fluorescent backlit TN panels at these prices. It looks pretty at least cosmetically, but if you work in Photoshop, you'll want a monitor with somewhat accurate color, which means you want a PVA or IPS panel. I have two of the HP LP2475w monitors mentioned in this thread and they're terrific values for the performance you get. Out of the box, they're noticeably out of calibration, but that's nothing a colorimeter can't fix.