Monkey Island coming to XBox360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, May 20, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/the_secret_of_monkey_island_co.php

Sure looks like it.

Ever since Bioshock came out for PS3, there was nothing on X360 that made me feel jealous as a PS3 owner. If they start releasing all the wonderful Lucasarts adventures on XBLA (or whatever it's called), consider my jealousy rekindled...but really just a little, since I have them all on SCUMMVM on my MacBook. But playing them on TV (Mouse support please!) with possibly updated graphics would be really fun.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well there sure as hell won't be mouse support. Cool though.

3. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

...in which case there will be no jealousy, as I connect my MacBook to my TV! :D

Seriously though, it's about time they realized these games are still very popular. If they released them on PSN, I would buy them.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For gawds sake get them out on Wiiware. My consoles are in the living room so a mouse isn't going to work and these games need point functionality.

All that said I already have these on my DS (M3) so I wouldn't buy them again. And there's also SCUMM VM for Wii.

5. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

But...but....wouldn't I need a Wii for that? :confused:

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yes, they can be purchased at all good retailers.

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, this would make a whole lot of sense... Let's bring this game to the one platform that doesn't have a pointer. If this is true, I have one thing to say. MORONS!!!

Well, this is the same company that told us it wouldn't be possible to put their games on the DS, and this was AFTER ScummVM had already been ported to it...

Lucas Arts. R.I.P... Whatever this company masquerading as Lucas Arts is now, its not the same company I used to admire. Hopefully it will crumble and the true greatness that was its essence, like Ron can grab up the rights to Monkey Island.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's the old Monkey Island, 6 games.
    For 1600 Microsoft Points from the XBLA.

The new one (Coming July 7th) is for Wii/PC

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm mad, because they made Guybrush look like a DOUECHE!! :mad:

10. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

This, along with the announcement that Sam & Max will be available on XBLA, has made me finally decide to go with a Xbox 360. :D

I still think that the best console of this generation is the Nintendo DS, and wonder why Telltale doesn't release these games for it. The interface is perfectly suited for this type of games, and, at the very least, they would be a nice addition to the current DSiWare lineup, which, as of now, is full of crappy clocks and calculators (still have the 1000 DSiWare "free" points, haven't seen anything to spend them on, though I've been tempted by the Art Style games).

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Bleh... Sam & Max. I bought episodes 1-3 of the first season for $2 for my PC. Overall the episodes I've played have been such a let down compared to the original. When Telltale games streamlined the controls, or made them DUMB, they ripped out a big part of what made graphic adventures fun for me.

The good thing about the new Monkey Island episodes they're making, is they'll at least put inventory combinations back in. Now if only they'd put in the option for me as the user to choose if I want to lick an object, or look at it. :(

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Well, did you guys buy it for your 360? :)

I bought it for the PC, I'm glad it was remade, I'm glad that it might open the door for more games like this, or at least broaden the scope of gaming for some, but I HATE the new look.

OK, my biggest gripe, because I always have one, besides the douche look of Guybrush, is the overall poor quality of the background art. The digital paint works is sloppy. I've worked as an artist since 96, and it's a style I've seen concept artists use. It makes sense for that kind of work as it's quick, but for production work, the inherent flaws bother me -- mainly because I can identify the brushes used. I'm guessing their budget was tight and the artist(s) were overwhelmed. If that's the case, than I recant my rant and in that case, it's good work. But in no way will I recant my rant about the horrid art direction they chose for Guybrush.

Anyways, I really hope you 360 guys buy this game, because I would really love to see Lucas Arts return to a time when they had a soul.

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! HURRAY! GRAPHIC ADVENTURES ARE AVAILABLE AGAIN!!! :D

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Totally agree, Guybrush looks remarkably awful in the remake, I don't know what they were thinking, they should have at least made it match with Tales style, if not mirror his original counterpart a bit more.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, I like TT's style much better, and I normally prefer 2D to 3D. The 3D island pan out looks great! I'll need to double check, but I recall some of the Lucas Art's concept art of Guybrush looking like the 3D version.

I'm running the game at 640x480 in a window now and It helps, but now Guybrush looks like a WEIRD bird... :]

When I first entered the kitchen while in the new art style, I missed the pot and I've finished this game several times since it was released. I didn't even miss it when playing on my DS. I noticed that it's MUCH easier to see items in the original style. I was playing at 1600x900 when this happened.

I like the music, as in it's a fresh take, but it seems to be missing that Reggae mood from what I've heard. I guess it's because they're not using a steel drum. I still have the CD version of Monkey Island and that music is excellent

Oh, one last ramble. The changes the made to the controls are for the worse. When in the new art style, I can't simply click the action, then the item. I have to open the action window, then select one, then open the inventory window to make a selection. I could always go back to all keyboard, but I prefer the original way of selecting much better, where all selections are on the bottom.

15. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it took them long enough: The Special Editions (1&2) have been announced for PSN and the iDevices, along with XBL and PC's of course.

I wonder if they will allow mouse support for the PSN version? There really is no good reason no to.....but I am still doubtful. :(

Oh, and apparently they fixed Guybrush's hair for part 2. :D

16. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like Part 1 is out on PSN.....in North America. Europeans are getting the shaft again. Maybe next week?

How does it control on consoles anyways? Do you just move the cursor with the analog stick? (I don't even dare to hope for mouse support on PS3...:()

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'd hope they's support the mouse for the PS3, it only makes sense.

I like that they worked on Guybrush's hair in the the second, but I still don't like the overall quality of things when compared to the originals. But that's me being an overly picky fan.

Anyways, I'm buying MI2:SE for STEAM when it comes out(For the original of course, which I already own :) ), but I'm passing on the Touch version this time around.

18. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I played and finished Monkey Island SE on PS3 last week, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I like how you can seamlessly switch between the new and old graphics style, very well done! And the updated graphics are really pretty (besides Guybrush looking ridiculous), and the voice work was very well executed as well. Didn't feel "tacked on" or anything.

Can't wait for Part 2!

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, switching is the best part, I just left it always in the higher quality PIXEL mode. :)

What i did not like about the washed over painted look, is that some of the items that were more defined in the original, got pulled into the background with the newer version, so they were harder to see.

The newer painted look didn't take or have the time to properly add the subtle details. They just washed over them, where as the original version is completely defined down to every pixel to state the obvious.

Anyways, the newer MI2 SE captured the original better IMO, it seems like they had more time, or just more skill this time around.