Monkey Island - Special Edition

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dr. McKay, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Now that MI-SE and MI-SE are both heading to Mac (and I hope MI3 will make it as well), I've come across some information that's really hard to swallow.

Supposedly, MI-SE is only available through Game Agent, Aspyr's online store. So what's the problem, then ?
    Nothing, if you live in the US. Apparently, if you live outside the US (I live in Europe, Belgium to be exact), you won't be able to buy the game.

Can someone confirm this ? I just bought Tales of Monkey Island as part of a Macheist software bundle, and the idea of being able to play the earlier episodes again brought a (big) smile to my face. Please don't make it go away...

2. harveypooka macrumors 65816

You can buy it here: http://www.telltalegames.com/macgames in dollars.

I can't see anything anywhere that says US only. But that doesn't mean it's worldwide.

GameAgent has been US only for a long while.

3. 3rd Doctor macrumors member

The windows version is available on steam, i dont see why the mac version wont be.

4. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have Tales of MI through Macheist. Can't find MI- SE on the telltale site...

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

On the GameAgent website it says that it will be a GameAgent exclusive. This affects US customers too because GameAgent's DRM sucks.

6. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Use a fake US adress. I've bought all the Call of Duty parts and Star Wars that way.

7. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to sound like a pushover but I'm not to keen on using a fake address. Come to think of it, as the games are simply available for download, it's really stupid to refuse non-US customers, as it will most certainly hurt sales. They're losing a lot of potential income that way.

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

It has to do with distribution to other countries; many have very strict restrictions on games. Sometimes developers just can't be bothered unless they have the money to develop different region codes.

Germany - No red blood, or Nazi symbolism
    China - Typically, no zombies
    Australia - No blood, but also very strict on overall content
    etc...

Thus it is often easiest to just say, "US Customers only" and if your provide a fake addresss, they don't really care, they covered their butts.

9. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

In any case, better avoid using "White House, Washington" :D