Mono to Stereo

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by diamond3, Jun 21, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

So i'm importing a video from a VCR but it only has video and 1 audio out. Not the standard red and white. So when i import the video into imovie I get a stereo recording with it only really being Mono. I need to figure out a way to make the audio play on both the left and right speakers for the DVD i'm going to create. Whats the easiest way to go about this? Thanks

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

by "it" you mean the playback machine, right? if so -- get a VCR w/ a stereo out and use that. you can't turn your mono recording into stereo, all you can do is get the mono signal to play out of both speakers. to get stereo, you have to capture both stereo channels.

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm a wee bit confused - is the audio in iMovie coming out of both speakers and in Mono, or is the audio in iMovie only coming out of one speaker?

4. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok let me clarify. I put the tape into the vcr and from that i have one yellow and one white rca cable leading into the mac. So, when I import in iMovie, it records in stereo, but theoretically its only mono. The right speaker has no sound because its not connected to receive it. What I want to do, is duplicate the left speaker sound so that the same sound plays on the right speaker. I don't really care that this is "TRUE" stereo sound, I just need it to play out of both speakers.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't know imovie, but is there a way to tell it to record to a mono audio track instead of stereo? if so, then on playback it should come from both speakers.

6. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked in iMovie and was unsuccessful at finding anything that I could change to import a movie in mono, or convert the mono to stereo. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

another option is to get a y-cable for the audio so both the L and R ins have signal at record time.

8. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, thats another option i can take if I have to. However does anyone know how I can do it on the computer to achieve the same effect. I've got a few hours of video on my computer that needs this done. Thanks