Monochrome Laser Printer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jaybar, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

Hi

Currently I have a Xerox 6280 color laser printer. The cost of the high capacity cartridges exceeds a $1000. It is also discontinued.

WE ARE THINKING OF SWITCHING TO A MONOCHROME LASER PRINTER.

Do you have any recommendations for a monochrome laser printer that:

1-Can handle 60-70 sheets of labels at a time.
    2-Easy to change toner cartridges
    3-Easy to change drum if need be
    4-User friendly in terms of paper jams
    5-Quality support.
    6- Committed to keeping printer drivers current
    7-Reasonable cost per page.

Thanks

Jay

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I find the Brother lasers are low cost to run.

3. jdelgado macrumors regular

You may want to look into this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1679005

It has a discussion on low-cost laser printers.

4. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I've found the Brothers to be excellent in terms of reliability and cost.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Here's another recommendation to give the Brother printer line some consideration...

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For where I sit, you are concerned about all the wrong things. You are used to the Xerox printer. This and the fact that you need the ability to handle 70 Avery label sheets tells me that you need a departmental printer. Xerox specializes in departmental printers. Xerox competitors also provide these printers. However, you cannot expect the a $100 desktop printer to serve your needs.

Driver support is simply a non-issue--if you buy a PostScript printer. You will be able to print from just about any computer made over the last 20 years. You will be able to print from just about any computer made over the next 20 years.

You want a lot of support from your manufacturer. You need to put on your green eyeshades and think about this one very carefully. Several years ago, the price of inkjet printers dropped to the point where the printer is cheaper than its full complement of ink cartridges. The printers are like razors. The product is the razor blade. The razor is just something to hold the blade in place. It is often given away. In a like manner, buyers began to dispose of inkjet printers when the ink cartridges that shipped with the printer exhausted.

Laser printers reached that point a few years later. They are now so inexpensive that there may no longer be a business case for traditional maintenance. Need a new drum? It may be better to just replace the whole printer.

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have been using Brother monochrome laser printers at work and at home for the past years. The standard model (HL-2240D) works well and hits all your buttons (I haven't changed the drum yet, which is a good sign). The cost per cartridge is relatively low, and the model I have at home (DCP-7065DN, which includes a scanner) uses the same cartridge. I only bought the Brother after reviewing opinions here on MacRumors and now I am a convert.