Monolingual destroyed my keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tolga7t, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tolga7t macrumors newbie

Well, I have something faulty, but Im not sure exactly what.

After removing bunch of stuff from Monolingual then rebooting, I realized my keyboard is not working... The Command Key, the caps lock Key, and F keys,etc are still working, but no letters or numbers.. I have a bluetooth keyboard I tried with it and I get the same exact problem..

What can I do to fix this ?

Thanks alot!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did you remove anything from the Inputs tab. Sounds like you did.

To be certain that the keyboard is no longer working I would give it a another reboot to check. Also I would boot into safe mode, hold down shift on booting (assuming that works).

If none of these things work, I think you definitely removed something you shouldn't've. To overcome it I am not sure what you can do apart from a reinstall. Perhaps you could find the specific items you deleted on the disk and put them back in place.

3. tolga7t thread starter macrumors newbie

hey yeah i have come to realize that I DID delete some input files i wasnt supposed to do.. I tried rebooting and rebooting in safe mode, still same problem.. Anyone has these input files so I can try putting on them on my computer ? Or maybe fix the issue with my Leopard CD?

4. tolga7t thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked at the Monolingual's Readme and it says that, "after deleting the keyboard layout for default input language, I should be able to restore the layout by copying them from another mac to the correct location."

Does anyone have these files please? Or know where to copy them? Please help!

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The file you need (i think) is located here

/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle

You could probably get it back off the install DVD.

PM with your email address, although thinking about it I have a UK (i think) keyboard and so it might not be the exact same file.

6. tolga7t thread starter macrumors newbie

alright i found the proper keyboard layout that i need and installed it successfully. thanks alot xUKHCx

7. scknogas macrumors newbie

scknogas

Thank you for this...

Let me get this out of the way,I am an idiot. :eek:

Okay, now that I've done that, let's tell you why. Currently I'm on a trip to the Middle East from the US, am sitting in the hotel room, and running low on disk. So, I decide to run Monolingual on my MacBook Pro running 10.5.2 to remediate the problem! Okay, so I purge the languages I don't use, I remove the architectures I don't need, and then remove the inputs that I have.

Yup, I got no keyboard anymore. :mad:

So, I calm down, and reboot into my BootCamp partition, find this post and start thinking how to handle this, since my install disc for Leopard is on the other side of the planet. I then install a trial version of MacDrive and then proceed to check my Mac side to verify that "/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle" is missing.

Okay. So, now to try the restore. I don't have the media, but on my TimeMachine drive, I should have a copy of the files... I try looking via MacDrive, but I can't seem to find which directory it's in. Okay, deep breath... Wait a minute I have a CDR image of my Leopard DVD for this very reason! Okay, now how to burn or mount a CDR image on the PC. Uhhhh, wait a minute, I have Microsoft's Virtual CD Control Panel for XP (Yeah, it's a direct link to the installer, I can't find a description page for it) installed. Maybe I can just mount the CDR image, since I have MacDrive installed.

Short version, BOOYAH! The CDR image mounted, and I copied over the bundle and then did a happy dance.

Thanks!!!

Scott
    PS> Yes, I have over 15 GB of installers on my main drive and decided to run Monolingual to reclaim 2 GB. If I wanted to remove the installers I'd have more space, but I'd likely paint myself into a worse corner. So, I'll keep them for now.

8. vietlh81 macrumors newbie

Need the file AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle

Hi everyone,
    I've got the same problem with Monolingual. However, the SuperDrive of my MBP can't recognize Leopard install DVD. (The problem with updated firmware of Apple). So, I can't reinstall Leopard.

Could anyone pls upload the file AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle?
    Thanks in advance.

9. SirPhil007 macrumors newbie

hi, I'm new to these boards, and I'm having the same problem with my mac keyboard. Do you think you could send me that file? Thank you.

10. SirPhil007 macrumors newbie

Please Read, cant use my macbook for anything (keyboard isnt working)

hi guys, let me just say that monolingual really messed up my macbook badly. I removed a bunch of architectures (all previous versions), now certain programs such as Firefox and Word crash at launch. I also accidentally removed the AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle...I got a friend to send me this file, however the problem is...when I copy it into the Keyboard Layouts Folder, I am asked to enter my admin password, but I obviously can't do this because my keyboard isn't even working. Furthermore, I can't reinstall mac os x because, again, im asked for my password, but no keyboard...You can see that I'm in a really frustrating situation. I absolutely need my laptop for school, and I don't know what to do at this point. I already did a slew of Google searches on this problem.

Any help would be so appreciated! Thanks. I'm desperate. plz reply.

11. NJdez macrumors newbie

about 20 minutes ago i ran Monolingual, aaaand deleted the keyboard layout selection. after freakin out for about 10 minutes i figured out how to fix it...

if you have a Mac desktop, or a friend with a Mac desktop then theres no need to worry. just pull your hard drive out of your laptop and install it in your desktop. boot up, then simply copy the keyboard layout file mentioned previously from your desktop's System Library to your Laptop's System Library (youll have to "Authenticate" with the administrative password from your laptop). after that your good to go. pull the HD back out and reinstall in your laptop.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Correction. You messed up your MacBook badly. Monolingual just did what you told it to do.

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First off congrats on working your way through the problem- but for future reference have you ever just thought about carrying around a laptop external drive tucked into your bag for the installers and such to have for emergencies in your travels (as well as potentially a clone or Time Machine backup of your hard drive)? Kind of like a first aid kit that would be easy to keep in a bag since they are so small and are powered directly from USB and awfully good for peace of mind without clogging up your main drive.

14. acozz1 macrumors newbie

Could someone please email the Uk keyboard layout bundle as I am a new member and I cannot send PM's. My email is pustuchi@filzmail.com. Thanks :) .

15. hertsmanuk macrumors newbie

Hi there

Sorry to come back to this but i have made a mistake deleting this folder,is there any chance you could e-mail this folder to me,i use snow leopard on my imac,thanks in advance paul.

16. corvas macrumors newbie

keyboard layout file

attached is the file you need.

use the firewire target disk mode to get the file into system/keyboardlayouts/

Attached Files:

17. queenskittles macrumors newbie

info to fix keyboard if running on 10.4.11

To get my Mac running faster I found this post: http://lowendmac.com/eubanks/07/0312.html and then downloaded Monolingual.

I have a PowerPC running on 10.4.11 and I freaked out also after running Monolingual because instead of just deleting languages I deleted some items in the input menu for the keyboard thinking that I didn't need the keyboard layouts that had weird names like 'Cyrillic' or 'Dvorak'. Totally wrong! I cleared up 2.5GB of space deleting most of the languages, got overzealous and wanted to delete more, but deleting some of the input menu files rendered my keyboard unusable (except for the keys listed in earlier posts- like functions and shift, etc). I found this forum post but there is no AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle file for Macs that are running Pre-10.5. LUCKILY I made a bootable hard drive backup for my main hard drive a few months ago. I hooked it up and turned it on, then just found the files on my backup hard drive under
    /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/ and dragged them all into my PowerPC hard drive. It worked! I restarted my computer before testing it, just in case.

Just wanted to reply with a post regarding 10.4.11.

Thanks for starting the thread!

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

All of these slimming apps are TO big a risk and no one should ever slim OS 10 apps.

19. kagor macrumors newbie

Monolingual destroyed my keyboard

Hey

I can AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle installer from usb in single mode?
    / S

20. GGJstudios, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it didn't!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Monolingual, and those in this thread who are blaming Monolingual should, in fact, be blaming themselves. As Cromulent already pointed out, the app just does what the user tells it to do. It's no different than someone using Finder or Terminal improperly to delete files that shouldn't be deleted. Monolingual, Finder and Terminal are not dangerous apps in themselves, any more than a gun is dangerous by itself. It's the user wielding such tools that causes problems. So the accurate statement is, no one should ever use Monolingual, UNLESS you know what you're deleting. I've used it for years and never had a single problem.

21. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Couldn't agree MORE!!! I just used it on my 7th Mac purchase and I've NEVER had an issue. Please, PLEASE...don't just automatically uninstall the default choices when you install Monolingual....take the time to go through the languages, keyboard layouts and the different OS choices (third tab), which is also important if you're using Rosetta for any software. In fact, take the time to read the FAQ...it's short, really short and REALLY easy to understand. If you take the time, and it's not much time required...you'll have NO issues with Monolingual.

On my 11.6" Air, I freed up just shy of 2gigs on my 128gig drive. Sweet! It works great for what it is...but, it will work the way YOU tell it to work! Take a few extra minutes and you'll be fine. Don't fear it, just respect it;)

J

22. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Zombie thread . . .

Just to resurrect this zombie thread, I agree with the "don't use Monolingual" crowd. Why? Yes, the risk is small. Yes, if you know what you're doing there won't be a problem. Yes, you do save space.

But: the risk (small though it is) is greater than the benefit. The risk is you have some problem like the ones described here. The benefit of saving disk space is very small - disk space is inexpensive. Also, you need to subtract the cost of obtaining the expertise to use Monolingual from the benefit.

Let's say Monolingual is free, and that your time costs $10 per hour, a 1 TB hard drive costs $200, and Monolingual saves you 1 GB of hard drive space. Translating everything into dollars:
    Benefit: $0.20 (= 200 * 1GB / 1TB)
    Cost: $0.00 (assuming it takes no time to install Monolingual).

Put in your own, more realistic, assumptions, and see what you come up with for the benefits of Monolingual.

It's much better to spend the time and money on getting a bigger hard drive.

23. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Please read the enlightened post just above yours. That's all you really need to know.

It's a truly harmless app., for anyone who can and will read.

24. jtmegerian macrumors newbie

Monolingual and Keyboard Problems on the Mac

Ok, i made the same mistake as others. I have the keyboard layout files thanks to Corvos (sp?). But, i cannot download them to the system/library/keyboard prefs directory b.c i need to enter my password. I think the same will happen when i try to reinstall mountain lion which i am re-downloading. System will likely request my PW. i am able to get around the App store request for PW b/c i can copy and past from a file i made from another computer, but copy and past won't work in the apple system password. Any other ideas, or am i going to be stuck taking my mac into the genius bar (where they will learn I am NOT a genius for what i did).

thanks in advance for any help....i don't have a hard copy of the OSX disk, but can i make it from the file that is being downloaded from the App store?
    thanks again,
    tom

25. dhinckley macrumors newbie

Fixed using single-user mode

I also broke my keyboard settings by being overzealous with Monolingual. However, I was able to fix my problem without having to resort to the install DVD. While that route would have easier, I did not have physical access to the DVD. Instead, I resorted to single-user model and a USB drive to copy AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle to /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/. This approach was inspired by the link here. A related link on general mounting of USB drives in single-user mode can be found here.

First, I downloaded the copy of AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle that was posted by corvas. I then transferred it onto a FAT32 formatted USB drive. After rebooting my laptop in single user mode (hold down [⌘+s] at startup), I mounted the USB drive using

Code:
    mount -uw /
    mkdir /mydirectory; mount -w -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /mydirectory

The path to your USB drive (/dev/disk*) may differ. Like mentioned in the first link, the first time I tried this the USB drive did not appear. I restarted with "reboot" and it then appeared.

After navigating to the location of AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle on the USB drive, I copied it to /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/

Code:
    cp -r AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/
    After typing "exit", OS X booted normally and I had a functional keyboard again!