Monolingual help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Silver-Fox, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

hi

i just downloaded monolingual and i was wondering what i should do, basically the architecture bit should i untick everything? and what can i tick etc?

on an intel machine, i know this program can cause bad damage so i need some advise please

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I had to do a complete reinstall of my OS because of Monolingual. Your best bet is to only remove languages and leave everything else untouched. I also found out you don't save much room deleting the other stuff anyway.

3. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

oh that sucks sorry to hear that, how much space did you save anyway if you remember?

4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

and to further narrow the list I would be careful what languages you tae off, czech for some reason is needed for proofing tools.

5. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

ok by the sounds of things i should just leave it alone ^^

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Proofing tools? I took off all languages except British and have had no problems.

In regards to space savings i think it was about 3Gbs

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I tried Monolingual at first for my MB. The "savings" was a joke. But I was really nervous and so didn't wanna muck with things too much.

I ended up just doing an "Erase & Install" and safely removed a ton of printer drivers, apps, and languages (but I knew I'd never use GarageBand or it's 1+GB of loops, iDVD, iMovie, iPhoto, etc.).

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Best to leave the architecture settings alone. If you remove older architectures, any programs you have which would normally run under Rosetta, won't.

Keeping this in mind, Monolingual is a great little app. if you're looking for other HDD space saving tips, let me know, I have quite a few. :cool:

9. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

id like to know some other apps, as im getting very low on space

10. BigPrince macrumors 68020

2.2 gig the first time with languages and 1.8 gig the second time.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sure, no problem. :)

To clean up your hard drive in general I recommend the following steps:

- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - as already discussed, use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac. And again, if you are not careful this can seriously screw up your Mac if it is Intel-based. Basically, leave the Architectures settings alone. Another option is to use Delocalizer
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper (not free) or uApp (free) to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

That should just about do it. :cool:

12. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

wow! thanks for the help ill be sure to try them straight away

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I alsor recommend Disk Inventory X to view Hard drive usage, shows you in a graphical way what is taking up the space. I use both DiskInventoryX and What size to see what is going on. The two views combined really help see what is going on.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No worries, glad to be of service. :cool:

Thanks for the info, I'll add that to my list and will reference it in the future for others.

15. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

ah sounds like a nice app ill have to try that one as well thanks everyone for help

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem - any other questions just ask. :cool:

17. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I have a question. <puts hand up>

Is there *any* benefit to performing monolingus on my HD other than the 1.5gig I'll recover?

18. dennisMac macrumors newbie

keyboard problem

I used monolingual n my mac and now my keyboar will not work. When I inserted my reinstall disc nothing happens because the c key does not register on the computer. What can I do to eject the disc and how can a get my keyboard working again?

19. dionlahera macrumors newbie

it worked forme

i used monolingual, once and it deletd lots of unneeded languages,i just left english and spanish, it saved lots of space:D
    also used clean my mac, it saved like 4gb:eek:

20. iplayglobal1 macrumors newbie

What happened to me

I just wanna say what happened to me by using Monolingual.

I downloaded it (OFC)

I openned it and deleted a bunch of languages I didnt need.
    So far everything was ok.

I then, deleted chinese keylayouts and a bunch of other layout I would never touch and had never heard of. (i was pretty sure they werent the layouts i used)

Oh boy..

I got screwed.

Before I knew it , I couldnt type in any digit/letter/symbol.

I was panicking....

OMFG WTF JUST FCKNG HAPPENED? : my first response

Then i started checking what had happened and to make sure it wasnt a silly error, I rebooted.
    Boot sound, boot screen, login screen pops-up and then I cant type anything (my password)

I start hyperventilating .... 1Tb inside my damned iMac was useless just because of some Mb cleaning up program...

OH GOD.
    After 2 and a half hours, I managed to login, and download USinternation keylayout.
    Fine then.
    I started searching for my original keylayout (portuguese european) but couldnt find it anywhere.
    4O'clock AM and I had to go to sleep so I shut the computer down.

when I booted it, I couldnt type in anything again, and the login screen had become the network style (enter username and password) opposite to easy access (choose user and enter password), which was a problem because the installation DVD doesnt have an option to switch beetween those types.

AND HERE I AM. after trying everything I end up right here, behind my windows laptop submitting thread after thread about the problems I encounter.
    here is my latest trial : https://discussions.apple.com/message/15252406#15252406

If someone has another way out of this hell-hole, plz help me. I need it.
    2 Years of hard work and development/editing down the toilet cuz of some program... I cant accept that.
    HELP!

[soz 4 bad english]

21. Shelli macrumors newbie

Help

I downloaded Monolingual and while deleting non English languages realized I hadn't unchecked all of the English options. Then I was stuck with Spanish language on all of my programs. So after panicking for a while and feeling stupid I reinstalled my Lion software. When the computer rebooted most of my programs were back to English except for iPhoto and Microsoft Office. I now cannot access my Office products at all I just get an error in Spanish that won't go away. I know it is my stupidity but I am 48 hours into this crap and am lost. Can anyone help me figure at least the English part out. Thank you for reading! :confused: