Monolingual PPC removl question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dingdongbubble, Dec 25, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

I got the program monolingual for my intel machine. It removes unnecessary language files. It also has the feature to remove PPC architectures. Now that does this mean? And on the FAQs I found this:
    Q. Should I remove the non-Intel architectures on my Intel based Mac?

A. You can use Monolingual to remove non-Intel architectures for your installed applications (even if some of the applications are PowerPC-only; Monolingual is smart enough not to remove PPC forks if those are the only ones in the universal binary). However, you should not strip the System frameworks if you want to use Rosetta. Rosetta needs the PowerPC code for all frameworks used by the emulated application and if it can't find it, you may see messages such as the following in the console:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa:
    mach-o, but wrong architecture

Now what does all this mean? What will happen if I remove all these architectures? Will my computer stop working?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A lot of people have run into trouble when removing the PPC architecture information, despite what the Monolingual brief says. Don't do it. The only way to recover from the resulting mess is an Archive & Install. :(

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh ok so I will jus leave it as it is. ok

bu what does it do anyways? and i cant even remove the g3 or g4 things?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In theory it removes parts of the system and applications that are meant to only be relevant to older Macs. In practice, the system and some apps still need these components and therefore the system becomes unstable once they are missing.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

XSlimmer is a great way to get rid of the PPC binaries in an app :)