monolingual

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Neil321, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Is this app safe to use and if so what about deleting the input menu's & architectures?

thanks

2. Mitou macrumors regular

I have used it without any problems just follow the instructions. If you feel nervous about deleting something just leave it. I probably could have deleted more but so what I still saved a lot of space.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Don't delete architectures

If I were you, I'd back up and then re-install your OS without languages etc, then run XSlimmer after installing apps. Longer, but better and safer.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Avoid architectures at all costs. Has the potential to cause major headaches that can only be solved by reinstall.

Backup before is also a prudent move.

To be honest I don't see how running xslimmer (not free) is safer than running monolingual they both go through applications and remove parts of them. In fact I would say xslimmer has the potential to do more damage as it is messing with the actual program rather than just stripping some language resources.

BTW I ran both monolingual and xslimmer on my computer today no problems whatsoever, ymmv.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I just used to to remove language files and had no problems.

6. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I successfully used monlingual as well the other day. I gained 3 gigs in HD space.

I left the architectures alone. I thought that they'd might be important.

7. Neil321 thread starter macrumors 68040

Neil321

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I successfully used Monolingual on Tiger last year with my new MBP. I only removed languages -- and I was very careful about selecting what was removed. The Monolingual defaults looked like they would have removed English and made my Mac unusable -- I don't understand its defaults, but I think you need carefully review them as they can't be trusted.

I've not tried it since upgrading to Leopard; I didn't know if there were any incompatibilities introduced since then, as Monolingual hasn't been updated specifically for 10.5.

9. Neil321 thread starter macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks but have now decided to not to risk things going tits up & dont want to
    go threw backing stuff up to save what might be just a couple of gb's

10. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I used it on leopard no problem and saved a few gigs. Not a big deal to some, but on a 250 GB MBP with a 130+ GB iTunes library and a 30+ GB Parallels file, a few gigs comes to be a big deal.

11. Neil321 thread starter macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep i hear ya,but most of my stuff is on external's anyway.I was just playing
    around to see how slim i could get the OS for ha ha's thats all.