Monopod advice needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by anewman143, Aug 25, 2011.

1. anewman143 macrumors regular

anewman143

I've got a Slik tripod, but it's a bit heavy for casual everyday use - but it is super for low light/long exposure work....love it!

Would also like to get a monopod for purposes outlined in other posts here - won't go into all of that...

I'd like a lighter one and am OK with carbon fiber - I like the Manfrotto 694CX or 695CX - but I am a little confused about one thing (my wife would say about a lot of things but I digress:eek:).

The "head"...as I see the monopod pics online, it has a flat plate on top - I can then choose any head for it...but have no clue how to choose one. Do I even need a "head" on it?? I'm not a professional photographer by any means but what I consider an "aggressive amateur"...moved up to a 5D Mark II recently from an XSi and am LOVING the full frame and light sensitivity...really amazing upgrade with my L glass.

So - advice on monopod heads? Also go with Manfrotto? Why/why not??

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!

Adam

2. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Check out trekking poles like the REI Hiker Shock Light Staff (rei.com). It has a monopod capability. I have one similar that I bought years ago that had a compass built into the handle.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I use this head on my monopod.

Perfect for Sports Photography's tendency to make you get up and boogie to the next location.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The Manfrotto 694CX has 4 sections and the 695CX has 5. It folds up a bit shorter. In general regarding camera support, the fewer the leg sections the more stable the platform for your camera.

I have an aluminum Manfrotto monopod, but I don't know the model. It's in my truck (always is). I have a swivel head on it instead of the ball head. It works just fine for me. Ball heads seem more suited for tripods where the base is stationary.

Dale