Monoprice 6foot cable differences?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by shenan1982, Oct 6, 2013.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Probably just older/newer inventory. The prices are all the same and the descriptions. I'd say it's a very safe bet they are identical cables.

3. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Seems weird they'd do this. Not sure why all the cable brands put their names on the usb and the lightning end (ie the monoprice and amazon basics)... makes it so tacky. I may just get the Apple OEM 6 foot.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I wish you could customize the graphic you put on there. I put a big picture of my face so everyone knows who's cable it is. Or a hotdog...

5. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I would put the steaming poo from Apple's Emoji collection :)

6. funnyboy88 macrumors regular

Would be cool if the newer one had thinner plastic around Lightning connector, as the Monoprice cables are bulky.

7. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah. The amazon ones are bulky as well not sure why nobody can make them slim like apple.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

9. djc6 macrumors 6502

I contacted monoprice via chat the other day over this same question; it seems like a common question they immediately provided a lengthy canned response.

Basically, they are identical but from different suppliers. Yeah, I don't get it either. If they are the same then treat them as such :)

10. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

I don't like the logo either so I plug it in the other way while it's docked in my car. Logo gone, problem solved.

11. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I don't want to have to manage the direction the cable is plugged into. They really should either put the logo only on the usb side of it, or not at all.

12. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

haha, 1st world problems :D

coming from an iphone 4s / Galaxy s3, I'm still excited that they made the connecter able to plug in both ways!

13. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

This response is becoming childish, obnoxious, and ridiculous. I'm happy you've read other people saying it, and find it cute. I don't. It's hypocritical to say, and just discredits any response you add.

14. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Looks like I hurt your feelings which was not my intent at all.
    Just adding perspective to what I perceive as a silly nitpick.

Lighten up fella :)

15. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Says the guy who wasted half a page with a complaint that someone decided to use red and orange in a graph instead of red and blue....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17925528#post17925528

Seriously, I have no issue having bold advertising on something if a) it's a brand I want to advertise, which Monoprice is certainly NOT, or b) It's a brand I'm being paid or given free product or heavily discounted, which Monoprice I'm not, or c) I'm being compensated for the advertising, which at $15 a cable for a generic cable from a company with nothing but a website I'm not.

Bottom line, I will pass on the mono price cable. At least the Amazon cable says Amazon, which is a respected, reputable brand. It'd be like buying a car charger that says Walmart vs one that says Apple or Verizon... it's tacky enough to have someone's brand on a cable, but to have a tacky company's branding, no thanks.

16. chibamac, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

So now I know your feelings were hurt, wow! Thank you for taking the time to study and research my post history on here. You see, bringing up that post made me laugh out loud again :). Surely it's humor was lost on you but as your character seems to indicate, that figures :)

Now, on to your other point. Monoprice is a "Tacky company". To this I say - cool, don't buy one :)
    I on the other hand I happen to like monoprice cables a lot. If that small logo on only one side of the cable devalues it so much, it's your choice to buy elsewhere. It's cute to see the emotional brand hierarchy that you've erected here. Y'know, that logo is probably one of the reasons you get such a great deal over at monoprice. The ones I have work great.

For those interested, here is my 3-foot monoprice cable in action.
    In my opinion it’s probably the best solution out there right now. The bright white apple cables really stand out in my black car's interior. Way more than the tiny logo seems to ☺

[​IMG]

Please excuse the tackiness of the logo on the back side of the connecter :D

Best,
    Chiba

17. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I have two of these, love them.

----------

I like their cables too. Great quality, great price. I've two 6ft 30 pin cables of theirs for 4-5 years and they still work perfectly. That's why when it was time to get Lighting ones, Monoprice all the way.

----------

I'm so glad they didn't go micro usb. It's surprising how much more convenient the Lighting connector is

18. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Agree 100% Micro usb is fine for something that needs to be plugged in once in a while but such a pain when you constantly need to plug in your phone.. I had the Samsung galaxy s3 and really disliked the micro usb aspect.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

My wife isn't a big fan of it on her S3 as well. Of course I bought her a 6' one from Monoprice to keep plugged in all the time at work lol.

20. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

21. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

I probably should have as well but I'm still waiting on a Monoprice shipment with a 6' among other things.. Let us know how you like it and if works with your case.

Chiba

22. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

I once removed a logo on a subwoofer's dust cap with a little nail polish remover. It might work for this too...

23. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Ahh thanks for the tip!

24. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

No problem! Oh, if you try it I recommend using the little lint free pads instead of a cotton ball.

BTW, love the car (my goal after I get out of Chiro school) and the Magpul case. I've got the Apple leather case so I'm trying to justify spending money on another case.

25. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Will do Chiba