Monoprice Air Case review with pics. Spoiler - I don't like it.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by h00ligan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The case costs $1.44 and is available from monoprice (out of stock as of this posting). I don't have any 'oem' case to compare this to, so it will be a discussion of the merits (none really) and the flaws (plentiful imho).

The case is hard plastic. It is very clear it is going to scratch easily. I also have concerns that putting the iphone 4 in and out may cause scratching on the phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It snaps on easily, and holds firmly in place. The ports all line up well, etc. As far as it goes, there's nothing wrong with the design. There is a lip around the front to prevent the face contacting a flat surface when face down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case is as slippery, maybe more, as a naked iphone 4 - the rigid plastic is uncomfortable to my ear cartilage too. It doesn't look to offer any substantial drop protection.

It's fine for this type of case it seems, but overall I would not recommend it to a friend.

2. dirkph macrumors member

Thanks for the review. These types of case never offer any real significant drop protection, but I really want a sleek, discreet look and this case seems to do the trick.

And unlike the SwitchEasy Nude and the IvySkin Reception, it seems to have a front lip in case you lay the phone on the front side.

Are there any watermarks? My only real concern is scratch marks. You say it scratches easy?

3. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

No real watermarks.. if you wipe down both.

I have had hard plastic cases like this before, and imho it is going to show scuffs very fast. The feather and similar OEM cases seem to have the rubberized shell which I think would be preferably to this.

Obviously for the price it's not a bad situation even if you don't like it. but i really don't care for it at all.. at that point, i'd rather just get a skin and go caseless.

4. dirkph macrumors member

Just placed a request for notification on availability. I don't even have an iPhone 4 yet (I live in Canada), but I'd like to get this ASAP.